Want to highlight a helpful answer? Upvote!

Did someone help you, or did an answer or User Tip resolve your issue? Upvote by selecting the upvote arrow. Your feedback helps others! Learn more about when to upvote >

Newsroom Update

Apple is introducing a new Apple Watch Pride Edition Braided Solo Loop, matching watch face, and dynamic iOS and iPadOS wallpapers as a way to champion global movements to protect and advance equality for LGBTQ+ communities. Learn more >

Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

"respond on your iphone" ..How? (to allow Trust)

Regarding an iPhone 6s ..

I've read previous replies in Discussions - essentially saying "hard luck, you can't"! - but I've followed all Knowledge Base instructions which I can find about how an iPhone can be reset to ALLOW TRUST of a particular Mac (..i.e; Settings>General>Reset>Reset Location & Privacy). That worked on one iPhone, but not on this other one, which apparently required the Mac's iTunes to be upgraded..

It previously worked to allow a Restore onto a new phone (previous phone was lost). However, when trying to Restore onto THIS 2nd phone (previous one lost at the same time ..yes; two together!) the Mac OS demanded that a newer version - v12.8 - must be installed on the Mac ..which I did.

Now, however, the new iTunes (..I've just Reset all dialogue warnings on it, as instructed in a Knowledge Base article..) now says "Do you want to allow this computer to access information on “iPhone”? If you don’t allow access, you will not be able to manage or sync your iPhone with this computer." So I reply "Continue" ..naturally enough.

Itunes then says "To allow access, respond on your iphone" ..but there is NO MESSAGE ANYWHERE ON THE iPHONE TO RESPOND TO! ..Nowhere.

So, any ideas - preferably having done this yourself, rather than wild guesses! - how I can respond on the phone so that I acknowledge that the computer can have access to the phone?

[..Quietly tearing out (not much remaining) white hair..]

Thanks, friends, in anticipation.

• David.

iPhone 6s

Posted on Aug 28, 2019 1:12 PM

Question marked as Best reply

Posted on Aug 30, 2019 4:14 AM

Well, no response ..so I'll describe what I did to get round this problem:

The phone's activity was constantly being interrupted by iTunes' refusal to recognise it ..so its Charge status was flickering between 'Charging' (connected to the Mac via USB) and 'Not Charging' (as iTunes "disconnected" the phone - or the phone disconnected itself from iTunes - each second because the Mac wasn't Trusted by the phone ..or vice versa).

So I disconnected the phone from the Mac, plugged the phone into an external (powerbank) power source, turned off and restarted the phone YET AGAIN, and made sure that no other process was running on the phone (not trying to gather Mail, do an iCloud update or whatever) so that NO OTHER PROCESS COULD INTERRUPT the activity or display of the phone, and then plugged it back into the Mac, got to the stage of "Do you want to allow this computer to access information on “iPhone”? If you don’t allow access, you will not be able to manage or sync your iPhone with this computer." So I reply "Continue", and iTunes then says "To allow access, respond on your iPhone" ..and THEN a message appears briefly on the phone, offering "Trust" or "Do Not Trust".

The message disappears within a blink of an eye, but then - again - "Do you want to allow this computer to access information on “iPhone”? If you don’t allow access, you will not be able to manage or sync your iPhone with this computer" appears on the Mac, I click on "Continue", the Mac shows "To allow access, respond on your iPhone" ..and then the message appears for a little longer on the phone saying "Trust" or "Do Not Trust".

After going through this process repeatedly, the message on the phone appears for long enough for me to tap "Trust". But I still have to keep repeating this process till the "Trust" option, which I've tapped, finally "sticks" - or registers - on the phone, and proper communication between iPhone and Mac ..and iTunes.. is restored!

A -L-O-N-G- and -T-I-R-E-S-O-M-E- process which eventually yielded a result.

So much for "It Just Works", I'm afraid!

Cheers, David.

Similar questions

1 reply
Question marked as Best reply

Aug 30, 2019 4:14 AM in response to David Babsky

Well, no response ..so I'll describe what I did to get round this problem:

The phone's activity was constantly being interrupted by iTunes' refusal to recognise it ..so its Charge status was flickering between 'Charging' (connected to the Mac via USB) and 'Not Charging' (as iTunes "disconnected" the phone - or the phone disconnected itself from iTunes - each second because the Mac wasn't Trusted by the phone ..or vice versa).

So I disconnected the phone from the Mac, plugged the phone into an external (powerbank) power source, turned off and restarted the phone YET AGAIN, and made sure that no other process was running on the phone (not trying to gather Mail, do an iCloud update or whatever) so that NO OTHER PROCESS COULD INTERRUPT the activity or display of the phone, and then plugged it back into the Mac, got to the stage of "Do you want to allow this computer to access information on “iPhone”? If you don’t allow access, you will not be able to manage or sync your iPhone with this computer." So I reply "Continue", and iTunes then says "To allow access, respond on your iPhone" ..and THEN a message appears briefly on the phone, offering "Trust" or "Do Not Trust".

The message disappears within a blink of an eye, but then - again - "Do you want to allow this computer to access information on “iPhone”? If you don’t allow access, you will not be able to manage or sync your iPhone with this computer" appears on the Mac, I click on "Continue", the Mac shows "To allow access, respond on your iPhone" ..and then the message appears for a little longer on the phone saying "Trust" or "Do Not Trust".

After going through this process repeatedly, the message on the phone appears for long enough for me to tap "Trust". But I still have to keep repeating this process till the "Trust" option, which I've tapped, finally "sticks" - or registers - on the phone, and proper communication between iPhone and Mac ..and iTunes.. is restored!

A -L-O-N-G- and -T-I-R-E-S-O-M-E- process which eventually yielded a result.

So much for "It Just Works", I'm afraid!

Cheers, David.

"respond on your iphone" ..How? (to allow Trust)

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.