Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

16G RAM possible

I read that I can increase the memory on my MacBook Pro 2012 to 16G rather than just 8. Is this doable in your experience?

Posted on Aug 28, 2019 4:12 PM

9 replies

Aug 28, 2019 5:36 PM in response to MrDesignerDan

Hello! Yes it it possible,

There should be Phillips or Pentalope screws on the bottom, around 12 of them

Unscrew those and you should see the DIMMs

After that, take your 16gb kit (You can get them form amazon, make sure its mac ram, though)

Take out the old ram and set it somewhere safe, If the ram breaks, you will need a replacement. (Note macs can take mismatched ram) .

Then, screw back on the panel, and if it works, good job! If you hear beeping, then replace one of the dims, 1-by-1, it may just have dust on it, If not, 12g is more then enough.

Your welcome!

Aug 28, 2019 5:53 PM in response to MrDesignerDan

To make sure this works, don't buy "just any old RAM." Macs are picky and most senior contributors here recommend Crucial or Other World Computing as RAM vendors. They are the only ones I trust for my Macs, especially when I go beyond what is called out in Apple's out-dated specs.

I would never consider RAM from an auction site--I've seen too many issues with that here in 18 years. Places like Amazon have their products but also other vendors' stuff. I buy a lot of stuff from Amazon but would never buy Mac RAM from there.

Regardless of where you get it, use good instructions. Those provides=d above leave out an important step: disconnect the battery cable from the logic board before removing or installing RAM. I like OWC's instructional videos:

https://eshop.macsales.com/installvideos/macbookpro_13_unibody_mid12_mem/

16G RAM possible

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.