Apple Event: May 7th at 7 am PT

Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

MacBook won’t power on, blinking charger light

Hi Everyone

I powered on my mid-2010 15 inch MacBook Pro as usual and was logging in when it abruptly turned off.

I plugged in my charger and the green or orange light did not light up.

I cannot perform an SMC reset as MacBook has no power and will not charge.

I have tested my charger cable with my friends MacBook - works fine. I have tried their working cable on my MacBook - no luck.

I have opened the MacBook and unplugged and replugged in the battery.

Now the charger light flickers orange on one side and flickers green on the other.

Can anyone help me? I really need a miracle.

Thank you in advance, I wholeheartedly encourage and appreciate any suggestions.

Posted on Aug 28, 2019 4:11 PM

Question marked as Best reply

Posted on Aug 28, 2019 4:44 PM

The green and amber LEDs in the charger are controlled by the computer, not the charger.

Once you know that, wonky behavior of those lights on a wonky computer with a perfectly fine charger Does make sense.

I think you are going to need a device appointment at your Apple store or Apple Authorized Service Provider. They may not have parts, but they still should be able to give you a diagnosis.

2 replies
Question marked as Best reply

Aug 28, 2019 4:44 PM in response to advm

The green and amber LEDs in the charger are controlled by the computer, not the charger.

Once you know that, wonky behavior of those lights on a wonky computer with a perfectly fine charger Does make sense.

I think you are going to need a device appointment at your Apple store or Apple Authorized Service Provider. They may not have parts, but they still should be able to give you a diagnosis.

MacBook won’t power on, blinking charger light

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.