Want to highlight a helpful answer? Upvote!

Did someone help you, or did an answer or User Tip resolve your issue? Upvote by selecting the upvote arrow. Your feedback helps others! Learn more about when to upvote >

Newsroom Update

Apple and Google deliver support for unwanted tracking alerts in iOS and Android. Learn more >

Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

Face ID Failure after Water Exposure

I accidentally dunked my iPhone X in water; now Face ID doesn’t work.

I reset Face ID and powered off/on my phone, but I still cannot set up Face ID again. I assume this is a hardware issue. Can it be easily repaired?

iPhone X

Posted on Aug 28, 2019 7:38 PM

Question marked as Best reply

Posted on Aug 28, 2019 8:33 PM

Not really. Apple considers any kind of liquid damage as a requirement for a complete replacement device. They'll either offer that or will return the device without being repaired.

If you can I suggest making a backup to iTunes and archive it in iTunes > Preferences > Devices. At least on a Mac right clicking over the particular backup gives an option to archive.

1 reply
Question marked as Best reply

Aug 28, 2019 8:33 PM in response to pescadogrande

Not really. Apple considers any kind of liquid damage as a requirement for a complete replacement device. They'll either offer that or will return the device without being repaired.

If you can I suggest making a backup to iTunes and archive it in iTunes > Preferences > Devices. At least on a Mac right clicking over the particular backup gives an option to archive.

Face ID Failure after Water Exposure

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.