Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

Mark up not saving

Hi,

i have an iPad with an Apple Pencil that I’ve been using since June to mark up PDFs. I find that if i exit the PDF and renter it only half? If the mark up saved, and if I then write on it and leave the PDF, only the new notes will save and the rest will disappear when I re open it from then.

Is is this a function of mark up, to not be able to continue to do mark ups and have them saved? Or is it an iCloud thing? Or my iPad thing?

Posted on Aug 28, 2019 11:53 PM

Question marked as Best reply

Posted on Aug 29, 2019 12:30 AM

Hi talia202,

This might have something to do with your iOS, did you update your iOS to the latest version iOS 12? Also, pls update the PDF app which u are using too.

Steps for updating iOS software:

Do you have any VPN network connection? If you do have, pls switch it off before updating your iOS. Also, your battery level must be at least 50% or more than 50%.

Imp: Pls make an backup of your device using iCloud or iTunes before updating your iOS.

Then go to Settings > General > Software Update > Make sure Automatic Updates is switched on > Tap on Download and Install

If the above step doesn’t work out, you can update your device manually using iTunes, pls refer to Update your device using iTunessection in the below link:

https://support.apple.com/en-us/HT204204

Pls refer to this link which explains the usage of Markups on iPad:

https://support.apple.com/en-us/HT206885

Hope these helps.

4 replies
Question marked as Best reply

Aug 29, 2019 12:30 AM in response to talia202

Hi talia202,

This might have something to do with your iOS, did you update your iOS to the latest version iOS 12? Also, pls update the PDF app which u are using too.

Steps for updating iOS software:

Do you have any VPN network connection? If you do have, pls switch it off before updating your iOS. Also, your battery level must be at least 50% or more than 50%.

Imp: Pls make an backup of your device using iCloud or iTunes before updating your iOS.

Then go to Settings > General > Software Update > Make sure Automatic Updates is switched on > Tap on Download and Install

If the above step doesn’t work out, you can update your device manually using iTunes, pls refer to Update your device using iTunessection in the below link:

https://support.apple.com/en-us/HT204204

Pls refer to this link which explains the usage of Markups on iPad:

https://support.apple.com/en-us/HT206885

Hope these helps.

Nov 7, 2019 11:03 AM in response to talia202

I have this problem with screenshots and markup.

I take a screenshot with Command + Shift + 4

Make an X or any other mark using the pencil

Hit done and save to photos

About 1/2 the time the screenshot saves with NO markup.

Even stranger sometimes it saves with no markup and a minute later the markup shows up in Photos!

But usually if there’s no markup, it didn’t save at all.

This also happens when I mark up and share, for example, to twitter.

This is extremely problematic as it is a data loss bug, I might expend significant time marking up and lose it. It’s also potentially embarrassing because the markup I see when I tweet the image might not be there when I share the image.

I have also noticed that other edits, like crops are discarded with the same frequency.

This is new to iPadOS. I am on 13.2.1 and I will update to 13.2.2 and see if it is better.

Nov 14, 2019 10:47 AM in response to twjordan

I continue to have this problem, and it only since switching to the new iPadOS. From one day to another the functionality changed. If I mark up a pdf and also put a text box at the bottom, say, for may recipients, they can not see any of the mark up. Some of them can see the text box. I'm pretty sure this affects non-Apple users, but of course PDFs are supposed to be transferable across platforms, aren't they?

Mark up not saving

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.