Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

USB accessories disabled

Hi, in the middle of working on a project, all of a sudden, this iMac (21.5-inch, Late 2013) I'm currently using in my school's library just randomly said "USB accessories disabled." I had my iPhone plugged into the keyboard, my flash drive, my external HD, and my iPod Touch all connected in the back next to my keyboard. The only way I could get the mouse to respond was to completely disconnect all of the USB devices (without ejecting the two disks properly). Now that I got the mouse to respond again, I plugged in everything except my ipod touch to the 4 usb ports in the back of this computer. I've never seen this message before... I'm on 10.14.6. Would this issue be resolved with the supplemental update installed? The other iMac I normally use is completely up to date, so, I'm wondering if the missing update could be to blame... Thanks.

Posted on Aug 29, 2019 2:03 PM

Question marked as Best reply

Posted on Aug 29, 2019 2:14 PM

This article should explain the issue you are experiencing. Plugging your iPhone into the keyboard's USB port is probably what triggered the message. A device like the iPhone that has high power requirements should be plugged directly into one of the USB ports on the back of the iMac.

If a Mac accessory needs more power or is using too much power - Apple Support

Similar questions

2 replies
Question marked as Best reply

Aug 29, 2019 2:14 PM in response to Patddfan

This article should explain the issue you are experiencing. Plugging your iPhone into the keyboard's USB port is probably what triggered the message. A device like the iPhone that has high power requirements should be plugged directly into one of the USB ports on the back of the iMac.

If a Mac accessory needs more power or is using too much power - Apple Support

Aug 29, 2019 3:38 PM in response to ProbsRus

Well, based on the article, I’m assuming that plugging in an iPhone 6 to the keyboard, and having my iPod Touch 5th gen plugged in at the same time was a bad idea. I think the Green heyday cable is the culprit because many people say it’s a very bad cable, but I can’t say for sure... I got it for $5 anyhow... 🤷‍♀️

USB accessories disabled

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.