Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

External hard drivee

Each time i turn off my Mac, my external hard drive (WD) disappears from my screen and become indescribable. I must take off its electric plug and connect again so it become ok .

We made many testing with Western Digital and didn't find any problem . They sent me a new hard disk and it is not better ! I begin to think the problem come from the Mac ! ??

Somebody has an answer ?

Thanks,

Posted on Aug 29, 2019 4:16 PM

Question marked as Best reply

Posted on Aug 30, 2019 1:59 PM

Hello Gilles,

Welcome to Apple Support Communities! I understand that your Western Digital external hard drive doesn't appear to mount unless unplugged and connected again after you power off your Mac. You've come to the right place for help.

Let's start by trying the following suggestions, testing if the behavior is still happening after each step:

1. Update your Mac to the latest macOS: How to update the software on your Mac - Apple Support
  2. Reset the NVRAM on your Mac: Reset NVRAM or PRAM on your Mac - Apple Support
  3. Verify and repair the external hard drive using Disk Utility: Verify a disk using Disk Utility on Mac - Apple Support

Testing if the hard drive mounts automatically when you log in with a different user account can help us further isolate if this may be related to files or settings with the user account you're using. If you don't have another user account, here's how you can create one for testing:

How to test an issue in another user account on your Mac - Apple Support

In addition to the steps above, how is this external drive formatted? NTFS, Mac OS Extended (Journaled), APFS, or something else? Keep us posted on the results.

Cheers!

8 replies
Question marked as Best reply

Aug 30, 2019 1:59 PM in response to gillesfromsherbrooke

Hello Gilles,

Welcome to Apple Support Communities! I understand that your Western Digital external hard drive doesn't appear to mount unless unplugged and connected again after you power off your Mac. You've come to the right place for help.

Let's start by trying the following suggestions, testing if the behavior is still happening after each step:

1. Update your Mac to the latest macOS: How to update the software on your Mac - Apple Support
  2. Reset the NVRAM on your Mac: Reset NVRAM or PRAM on your Mac - Apple Support
  3. Verify and repair the external hard drive using Disk Utility: Verify a disk using Disk Utility on Mac - Apple Support

Testing if the hard drive mounts automatically when you log in with a different user account can help us further isolate if this may be related to files or settings with the user account you're using. If you don't have another user account, here's how you can create one for testing:

How to test an issue in another user account on your Mac - Apple Support

In addition to the steps above, how is this external drive formatted? NTFS, Mac OS Extended (Journaled), APFS, or something else? Keep us posted on the results.

Cheers!

Sep 6, 2019 7:10 AM in response to gillesfromsherbrooke

1- Most harddrives are delivered with some software on it. On a mac it is better not to use that software.

So the first thing to do when you have a new drive, format it Mac OS Extended (Journaled), and everything on the disk is gone.

2- Do not use any of the software that you got with the drive: Macs can handle the drive better than the producer software (it is normally windows based). If you have installed that software uninstall it completely and make sure all kexts are removed also, then restart.

3- Make sure that the USB connection on the mac has enough power to "serve" the disk, especially if there is more connected to the USB.

4- WD is a good brand, and has good disks. If you still have issues after installing he disk correctly, then it might be helping checking the software and the settings on your mac.

Aug 30, 2019 5:12 PM in response to Teddy_B

Hi Jameson ,

My WD external hard drive is a replacement drive that WD sent me this week ! The previous one worked well for about a year and began to have this problem. I did each step you suggested and, also, with another account and the problem is still there.

But today, i tried to do the testing and connected my hard drive on another Mac belonging to my brother-in-law.

And if i power off his Mac and wait 4-5 minutes , and connected again, my external hard drive doesn't appear . Same problem !

So i think this problem is not on the Mac but on the WD hard drive. Since beginning of July, we made a lot of testing with WD on My Mac and after consulting his WD engineers, the guy told me ¨we will send you a new one ¨.

I will advise WD that this hard drive has the same problem as the other one and to try to find the solution !

Thanks !

External hard drivee

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.