Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

USB C Power Output On MBP

Anyone knows either the USB C or Thunderbolt power output on the 2018 MBP? I know it can take 100W via Thunderbolt 3 in... But I don't see any official figures on how many it can put out.

MacBook Pro with Touch Bar

Posted on Aug 30, 2019 8:08 AM

Question marked as Best reply

Posted on Aug 30, 2019 9:20 AM

The issue may not be what your MacBook Pro is "capable of" as much as "willing to supply".

Is your MacBook Pro connected to its power adapter as you are trying to charge these other devices?

This third-party article suggests MacBook Pro supplies nominal 5 Volt power readily, but NOT at the maximum possible 3 Amps/15 Watts:

The USB-C ports on the MacBook Pro models also deliver 10 watts (5.2V x 2.1A, below 2100mA when adding Extra Operating Current to the Required Current) to any directly connected iOS device, so you can charge your iPhone quickly that way as well.

https://appleinsider.com/articles/16/11/16/everything-you-need-to-know-about-usb-c-thunderbolt-3-on-apples-new-macbook-pro

The MacBook Pro supplies near the maximum the iPhone needs to charge itself at maximum speed. That article also notes that the 5 Watt default iPhone adapter provides less than the iPhone would be happy to draw, if its power adapter were capable of more.

EDIT: fixed some spelling errors and specs

3 replies
Question marked as Best reply

Aug 30, 2019 9:20 AM in response to BUstudent

The issue may not be what your MacBook Pro is "capable of" as much as "willing to supply".

Is your MacBook Pro connected to its power adapter as you are trying to charge these other devices?

This third-party article suggests MacBook Pro supplies nominal 5 Volt power readily, but NOT at the maximum possible 3 Amps/15 Watts:

The USB-C ports on the MacBook Pro models also deliver 10 watts (5.2V x 2.1A, below 2100mA when adding Extra Operating Current to the Required Current) to any directly connected iOS device, so you can charge your iPhone quickly that way as well.

https://appleinsider.com/articles/16/11/16/everything-you-need-to-know-about-usb-c-thunderbolt-3-on-apples-new-macbook-pro

The MacBook Pro supplies near the maximum the iPhone needs to charge itself at maximum speed. That article also notes that the 5 Watt default iPhone adapter provides less than the iPhone would be happy to draw, if its power adapter were capable of more.

EDIT: fixed some spelling errors and specs

Aug 30, 2019 8:37 AM in response to BUstudent

That partly depends on the device attached.

Regular old USB devices can get 5V power up to as much as 1.5 Amps just by connecting to it. Newer devices may demand as much as 3 Amps that way. To get higher Voltages and higher Amperage, they need to use the USB-C power protocol to negotiate with the MacBook Pro for more. That is why USB power delivery cables for higher amounts include USB-2 data lines as well.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/USB_hardware#PD

¿What are you connecting, and what does it need to get from the MacBook Pro?.

Aug 30, 2019 8:42 AM in response to Grant Bennet-Alder

I get that, it just that when I uses my MBP to charge my other USB C devices it feels much slower. I am trying to charge my Nintendo Switch and Panasonic S1R (camera) right now. I think both supports USB PD. And they both take much longer to charge with my MBP (connected to charger) than by plugging them into my 87 W MBP charger...

So I guess a more accurate version of my question should be what USB PD output my 2018 MBP is capable of...

USB C Power Output On MBP

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.