Newsroom Update

The redesigned iPad Air and new iPad Pro with Apple silicon are now available. Learn more >

Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

iPad will not start up

Recently my 4th gen iPad stopped working. It will not turn on. When I press power, the Apple logo shows up for about 30 seconds then goes back to black screen. Doesn’t matter If I press power, or hold power with home button, same situation happens with Apple logo for 30 seconds, then black screen.

Ive tried charging over 24 hours using 2 separate Apple charging blocks and cables, no change.

I can get it to go into DFU, and when I plug into computer like this, it is recognized and says It needs to update or restore. If I update, it fails with “unknown error”. If I restore, it goes through the entire process, even shows the status bar on the screen, but when it does it’s final reboot, back to just Apple logo for 30 seconds, then black screen.

Is there anything else else I can try? Or am I out of luck?

Thanks for any assistance.

iPad (4th gen) Wi-Fi

Posted on Aug 30, 2019 12:44 PM

Question marked as Best reply

Posted on Aug 30, 2019 12:48 PM

Seems like a failing or failed battery.

Time to bring your iPad 4 into your nearest, “local” Apple Store for diagnosis, evaluation and potential options.

Best of Luck to You!

Similar questions

1 reply

iPad will not start up

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.