Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

Safari menu options grayed out

New MacBook Pro and safari is opening with some menu options grayed out. The menu options grayed out are preferences and quit. There is a dialog box that flashes open upon starting but goes away before i’m Able to view it.

Cannot open preferences or quit Safari using menu items or keyboard commands. I have to force quit safari to exit program. Installed and ran etrecheck software and malware bytes software and it finds no malware from what I can see.

please help, longtime Mac user and I’m stumped.

MacBook

Posted on Aug 31, 2019 1:12 PM

Question marked as Best reply

Posted on Aug 31, 2019 1:20 PM

If you go to System Preferences/General, is Safari set as the default browser? Have you been using Chrome of Firefox? It may be trying to import the other browsers bookmarks.

Bookmarks and history - Import from other browsers

Try setting up another admin user account in System Preferences/Users & Groups to see if the same problem continues. Please post back on whether or not this worked. Also try the Safe Mode. Please post back on whether or not this worked.

Isolating an issue by using another user account 

Safe Mode - About

If it works in the Safe Mode, try running this program when booted normally and then copy and paste the output in a reply. The program was created by Etresoft, a frequent contributor.  Please use copy and paste as screen shots can be hard to read. Click “Share Report” button in the toolbar, select “Copy to Clipboard” and then paste into a reply. This will show what is running on your computer. No personal information is shown. If the log won’t post, try posting it in Pastebin and provide a link in a reply. After pasting the report in a PasteBin page, go to the top of the page, and copy the address in the URL bar. Paste that in a new reply.        Pastebin

Etrecheck – System Information

3 replies
Question marked as Best reply

Aug 31, 2019 1:20 PM in response to woodyfo

If you go to System Preferences/General, is Safari set as the default browser? Have you been using Chrome of Firefox? It may be trying to import the other browsers bookmarks.

Bookmarks and history - Import from other browsers

Try setting up another admin user account in System Preferences/Users & Groups to see if the same problem continues. Please post back on whether or not this worked. Also try the Safe Mode. Please post back on whether or not this worked.

Isolating an issue by using another user account 

Safe Mode - About

If it works in the Safe Mode, try running this program when booted normally and then copy and paste the output in a reply. The program was created by Etresoft, a frequent contributor.  Please use copy and paste as screen shots can be hard to read. Click “Share Report” button in the toolbar, select “Copy to Clipboard” and then paste into a reply. This will show what is running on your computer. No personal information is shown. If the log won’t post, try posting it in Pastebin and provide a link in a reply. After pasting the report in a PasteBin page, go to the top of the page, and copy the address in the URL bar. Paste that in a new reply.        Pastebin

Etrecheck – System Information

Sep 1, 2019 11:47 AM in response to Eric Root

Yes, was using Chrome as default browser. Changed Safari to default browsers in System Prefs/General, but no luck. Created a new Admin account and that seems to have worked. The only problem is I will have to set up a bunch of options under new admin account (would rather not - this is my daughter's computer in college and I'm not there). Any idea what caused the issue in the first place? Trying to just fix the issue - not throw everything out to start over with a replacement user account.

Safari menu options grayed out

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.