Want to highlight a helpful answer? Upvote!

Did someone help you, or did an answer or User Tip resolve your issue? Upvote by selecting the upvote arrow. Your feedback helps others! Learn more about when to upvote >

Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

Screen flickering (MacBook Pro 2019 13" 256GB, 2 thunderbolt) black/white boxes

Hello, I do app and game development with Visual Studio Code and Unity. That is also the purpose I mainly use the MacBook for. Now I have a problem that sometimes the screen flickers (happens in all applications, doesn't matter what I have currently open). I already tried resetting the SMC but no success. It happens very unregularly. For example when I use Unity after a restart it happens like 4-5 times in a row when changing the perspective or selecting objects. In Safari/Visual Studio Code it happens more rarely.

Posted on Sep 1, 2019 10:56 AM

9 replies

Sep 29, 2019 5:12 PM in response to dariotr

I went to the local Apple Store where I bought my device and they switched my mac book pro for a brand new one that seems to be working properly, no black/white boxes so far. Also the battery of this new mac book seems to be a lot better. I think I had a defective device.

From what they said to me, if you have the box and you are not satisfied with your product then you can ask for a new one (or other model if pay the difference) before 40 days of your purchase. Try to go to an apple store next to you with the box/cable/charger and, of course, your receipt to try to replace for a new one...

Hope this helps,

Sep 30, 2019 9:36 AM in response to dariotr

I'm a game developer as well, so I'm using Unity, VSCode and Google Chrome mostly of my time. This issue is pretty easy to reproduce using Unity. If you drag to resize any Unity view then you can see the black/white boxes in the game, scene and hierarchy view.

I think you should go back to your local official support center and explain that the problem was not fixed.

Screen flickering (MacBook Pro 2019 13" 256GB, 2 thunderbolt) black/white boxes

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.