Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

2019 13" Macbook Pro - glitchy flicker on screen every few minutes

Every 10 - 30 minutes my screen has an incredibly brief flicker, a short band across the screen appears for a fraction of a second. I finally managed to film it with my phone today and have a still:

Does anyone have an idea what this might be?

Posted on Aug 22, 2019 10:55 AM

10 replies

Sep 12, 2019 4:09 PM in response to caedmon_m

I just purchased a

mid-2019 MacBook Pro (MacBookPro15,2)

2.4 GHz Intel Core i5

Model A1989, Product Z0WQ

16GB RAM 2133 MHz LPDDR3

Intel Iris Plus Graphics 655 1536 MB

MacOS Mojave 10.14.6, Dark Mode

I too have a similar issue. My flashing/glitch is towards the bottom of the screen like yours but only shows up for 0.5s or less.. and is usually bright magenta or green. I cannot intentionally replicate the issue, it just seems to happen randomly or at least when I have several applications running for school.. ie Word, PowerPoint, Safari (multiple windows each with multiple tabs), iCal, Mail..etc.

From what I have read, the issue might be related to the computer's sleep/awake settings and or the auto dim settings. I haven't had any issue after performing the following steps

1) Reset the SMC https://support.apple.com/en-us/HT201295

2) Reset the NVRAM/PRAM https://support.apple.com/en-us/HT204063

3) Turn off "Automatically adjust brightness" and "True Tone"(System Preferences > Displays > Uncheck these options)

4) Turn off "Night Shift"

5) Turn display off after 15 minutes. (System Preferences > Energy Saver > Battery > Turn display off after 15min)

No idea which one actually solved the issue but hope this helps.

PS - Have also read that Chrome/Chromium hardware acceleration settings may affect this. I have also deleted Chrome and solely use Safari. Also not sure if that had a role is solving the issue.

Aug 22, 2019 12:25 PM in response to caedmon_m

Hey there!

Many other users (myself included) have reported similar behavior from their 2019 MacBook Pro. Try turning off True Tone and "Automatically adjust brightness" in System Preferences -> Displays, see if the problem persists. I did this about a week ago and haven't experienced the flickering ever since.

Even if this takes care of the problem for you, though, I would suggest contacting Apple about it. It's really important that they look into it and fix it in a future software update (if it is indeed a software problem, which I'm guessing it is). Besides, not being able to use True Tone and auto-brightness on a brand new machine is quite unacceptable.

Sep 10, 2019 7:56 AM in response to JosephKJ

My 5th replacement is currently in repair. Apple called me yesterday to notify me that my brand new computer was missing internal components. Not sure what happened on the factory belt, but seems as though I have a dud. That said, the screen issue has been consistent throughout all replacements since May this year. I'm curious whether it actually is a Mojave issue or more hardware related.... QuickTime doesn't capture the issue. Only an external record (ie, iPhone / camera) will work.

2019 13" Macbook Pro - glitchy flicker on screen every few minutes

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.