Apple Event: May 7th at 7 am PT

Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

iPad Pro and iOS itunes

I have successfully set up home sharing where I can see my iTunes library from my MacBook Pro on my new iPad Pro. The problem I have is there is no download option to store the library on the local iPad Pro hard drive. This is why I purchased a 512 gig hard drive model to accommodate my music library. How can I utilize home sharing to transfer my library? I don’t have the proper cabling to do a traditional sync like I used to with my old iPod. There must be a way to do this through home sharing that doesn’t involve uploading my whole library to the cloud?

Posted on Sep 1, 2019 11:03 AM

Question marked as Best reply

Posted on Sep 1, 2019 11:36 AM

iTunes sharing is a computer server-like sharing feature thatbworks across all connected iOS devices that can access the same computer running iTunes and is setup for iTunes sharing.

It does NOT allow for actually downloading of content from your iTunes library.

However,

You CAN use your local home WiFi network and use iTunes Wifi sync to WiFi, wirelessly sync your iTunes Library content to any iDevice.

Tap and read this Apple iTunes support article below.

Sync your iPhone, iPad, or iPod using iTunes on your computer - Apple Support

Good Luck to You!

10 replies
Question marked as Best reply

Sep 1, 2019 11:36 AM in response to noizyb65

iTunes sharing is a computer server-like sharing feature thatbworks across all connected iOS devices that can access the same computer running iTunes and is setup for iTunes sharing.

It does NOT allow for actually downloading of content from your iTunes library.

However,

You CAN use your local home WiFi network and use iTunes Wifi sync to WiFi, wirelessly sync your iTunes Library content to any iDevice.

Tap and read this Apple iTunes support article below.

Sync your iPhone, iPad, or iPod using iTunes on your computer - Apple Support

Good Luck to You!

Sep 2, 2019 6:49 AM in response to MichelPM

Actually it does allow for downloading. I’ve transferred content for years between networked machines using home sharing. The rub seems to be with the IOS version of iTunes on the iPad. I figured it out. I had to physically connect the iPad and the MacBook and sync. It still utilized WI-FI but the two had to be connected.

Thanks for the reply!

Sep 2, 2019 10:54 AM in response to noizyb65

Huh?

The whole point of iTunes Wifi sync is to sync your iTunes library content wirelessly WITHOUT needing to be connected by cable to your computer.

If you connected your iPad to your Mac ( something you stated you simply couldn't do ), I believe you did the normal, standard connected iTunes sync and WiFi wasn't even used or a factor.

Whatever happened got the job done.

Sep 2, 2019 11:22 AM in response to MichelPM

I know it’s goofy, but I think we’re all used to a little weirdness with Apple. The hard connection came from the fact that the iPad had to be identified first and configured in iTunes before you could sync. The syncing is done through wireless but has to be initiated through the wired connection first. I’ve since found this documented.

Sep 29, 2019 1:10 PM in response to chris077

I’m going to say no.

What do you do if you need to restore your iPad through iTunes?

Something many iPad Air 2 owners trying to get their iPads working with iPadOS are still doing as I write this!

You can't create music playlists on your iPad, either.

Also, can't managed music on iPad, like you can with iTunes on a computer.

With an iPad Pro alone, data backups will be more crucial, too!

Seems like you should have purchased a new MacBook Air, instead of an iPad Pro.

There are still many things you cannot DO or easliy do on ANY iPad, even an iPad Pro, that you can on a Mac or PC.

For some an iPad/iPad Pro is STILL NOT a replacement for a much more full featured laptop or desktop computer.

Sep 30, 2019 7:43 PM in response to MichelPM

I’m not either of those, and YES. You can. I have a huge library, nearly 80% of which is ripped from my CD library. I’m on an iPad Pro making playlists daily from my ENTIRE library. I successfully synced my library over to the iPad Pro from my MacBook Pro and have enjoyed the smooth operation ever since. Happy to answer any questions for those seeking to do the same.

iPad Pro and iOS itunes

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.