Newsroom Update

Apple Music today announced the release of its 100 Best Albums of all time, a list crafted by Apple Music’s experts alongside industry professionals. Learn more >

issues with ITunes Home Sharing

My wife and I have Itunes on our Windows laptop/pc and we have been trying to Home Share songs. We are both signed in with our relative Apple IDs (she signed in with hers, me with mine,) We can each see each other's library but we cannot find the Import button that is supposed to be the bottom of the ITunes screen.

What am I missing here?

Thanks

Windows

Posted on Aug 4, 2023 5:41 PM

Question marked as Best reply

Posted on Aug 4, 2023 6:25 PM

Just to be clear, there is a difference between sharing libraries on a local PC network and sharing items using Home Sharing. You can set up a maximum of five computers on a local network (such as a home Wi-Fi network) to share their iTunes libraries with each other. If a shared computer is turned on and iTunes is open, you can play that computer’s shared items on other computers in the network, but you can’t import the shared items into their libraries. If you want to import items from iTunes libraries on other computers in your home network, you can turn on Home Sharing.

Share iTunes libraries on a local PC network - Apple Support

Import media using Home Sharing in iTunes on PC - Apple Support

5 replies
Question marked as Best reply

Aug 4, 2023 6:25 PM in response to kkap

Just to be clear, there is a difference between sharing libraries on a local PC network and sharing items using Home Sharing. You can set up a maximum of five computers on a local network (such as a home Wi-Fi network) to share their iTunes libraries with each other. If a shared computer is turned on and iTunes is open, you can play that computer’s shared items on other computers in the network, but you can’t import the shared items into their libraries. If you want to import items from iTunes libraries on other computers in your home network, you can turn on Home Sharing.

Share iTunes libraries on a local PC network - Apple Support

Import media using Home Sharing in iTunes on PC - Apple Support

Aug 6, 2023 5:54 AM in response to kkap

Home Sharing works to share the libraries of one Apple ID among multiple computers and devices connected to the same local network. You can potentially share purchases by creating a family group with both of you as members, but if you want to copy unprotected media from one library to another you can either create a shared network folder into which either of you can copy files, or transfer them using a USB drive.

There is also a simple network sharing feature that opens up your library for read-only access by other machines on your local network, which you can use if you only want to be able to listen to content from the others library before deciding what you might want to copy using some other method.

tt2

Aug 8, 2023 4:31 PM in response to kkap

Here is what I've discovered for anyone that has this issue in the future;

Both PCs need to have the same Apple ID on both systems. It's not going to let you Import if you have the different Apple IDs for each person. In that case you will be able to see each library and play the tracks but not import from one library.

Unless I missed something in the instructions, the "how to" was not real clear that this was the case.

So, again, both PCs must be logged in on Home Sharing with the same Apple ID in order to Import songs.

issues with ITunes Home Sharing

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.