Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

Mac OS High Sierra stuck "Installation is in progress. Calculating time remaining..."

Hello all,

New to the community. My 2011 iMac stuck "Installation is in progress. Calculating time remaining..." for hours when I tried to do a clean High Sierra installation. Unfortunately, I don't have Time Machine enabled, and I've tried boot El Capitan via an USB drive but also stuck on apple logo.

Resetting NVRAM or PRAM didn't do anything, and I have tried to resume the installation after hard shutdown, no luck. Please help.

Thanks!

Steve

Posted on Sep 2, 2019 2:18 AM

Question marked as Best reply

Posted on Sep 2, 2019 1:12 PM

I made the usb boot drive on MBP not iMAC as it's unusable at the moment. When I held alt/option key the usb showed up and then it gave a apple logo with a white ground and nothing happened for at least 30 minuets.

Btw I followed the instruction here https://support.apple.com/en-us/HT201372 to make the usb.

Similar questions

7 replies

Sep 2, 2019 11:06 AM in response to BDAqua

Hi BDAqua,

Last night it was stuck there over 6 hours, so I shut it down when I wake up.

It's a iMac (27-inch, Mid 2011) and ran on High Sierra more than a year. Yesterday I can't wake it up from sleep which gave me a total black screen even after reboot.

Anyone know any workaround on this?

Appreciate your help in advance.

Sep 2, 2019 11:48 AM in response to bigbangs

Do you have or can you get OSX on an external drive & hold alt key on startup to see if the external is a boot choice?

Is that the original 1TB HDD in your iMac? I suspect it should've failed years ago. :(

PS/ I haven't upgraded my iMac 27-inch, Mid 2011to 10.13 because all the trouble I had upgrading my iMac 21.5-inch, Mid 2011 to 10.13.6 & days of wrestling with 2 different Sec UPDs.

Sep 2, 2019 12:29 PM in response to BDAqua

Yup it's the original 1T HDD came with iMAC, but I didn't find any error when checking with disk utility. I tried using "createinstallmedia" for a boot usb drive with El Capitan (I can't find SIerra/HIgh Sierra in my app store ), I can't see it in "startup disk"but I can hold option to boot from it, and then stuck on apple logo without any progress bar. :(

Also I tested internet recovery mode, same result. Thanks for chiming in though. Appreciate it.

Mac OS High Sierra stuck "Installation is in progress. Calculating time remaining..."

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.