Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

Stuck trying to re-install Mac OSX (Sierra)

Hello all,

I'm having some start-up/installation issues with my son's iMac.

First thing I tried was to boot into safe mode. FileVault is turned on, so that wouldn't work. The issue is, I can't start up the machine at all to even turn that off.

So I went into recovery mode and tried a reinstall of the OS. It only offered Sierra. Unfortunately, that went through the process, restarted but returned an error saying it couldn't be installed at this time. Every time it restarts, it tries to do the install again so I'm stuck in a loop.

I can no longer get into Recovery mode as when I do, it comes up with the circle and diagonal line through it.

I'm completely stuck. I'd be happy getting in to Disk Utility, wiping and starting again, but I can't get past any of the screens now to get to that.

I'd appreciate any advice. I can't tell you exactly what model iMac it is, but it's around 2013/15.

Thank you.

Posted on Jul 9, 2020 8:38 AM

Question marked as Best reply

Posted on Jul 9, 2020 4:29 PM

1. Start up from macOS Recovery

To start up from macOS Recovery, turn on your Mac and immediately press and hold one of the following combinations on your keyboard. Command-R is generally recommended, especially if you never installed macOS Sierra 10.12.4 or later… https://support.apple.com/en-us/HT204904#notupdated

Command (⌘)-R

Install the latest macOS that was installed on your Mac.

Option-⌘-R

Upgrade to the latest macOS compatible with your Mac.

Shift-Option-⌘-R

Install the macOS that came with your Mac, or the closest version still available.

Similar questions

8 replies
Question marked as Best reply

Jul 9, 2020 4:29 PM in response to Steve_007

1. Start up from macOS Recovery

To start up from macOS Recovery, turn on your Mac and immediately press and hold one of the following combinations on your keyboard. Command-R is generally recommended, especially if you never installed macOS Sierra 10.12.4 or later… https://support.apple.com/en-us/HT204904#notupdated

Command (⌘)-R

Install the latest macOS that was installed on your Mac.

Option-⌘-R

Upgrade to the latest macOS compatible with your Mac.

Shift-Option-⌘-R

Install the macOS that came with your Mac, or the closest version still available.

Jul 9, 2020 10:22 AM in response to Steve_007

2013/2015 would have no installer Discs.

See if this gets you back to using CMD+r keys...

1.. Shut the machine down.

2.. UNPLUG the power lead to the computer and any peripheral devices.

3.. leave it for 10 minutes.

4.. Hold power Button in for 10 seconds

5.. Connect everything back up and restart. 

If not see if you can get osx on an external drive & if the alt key on startup gives you boot choices.

Jul 11, 2020 2:24 AM in response to BDAqua

Thanks, that's got me to the point now where I can attempt Lion re-install. I've run it several times and either it gets stuck (for literally hours) or I get the 'can't download additional components' error. It's using an ethernet cable, not WiFi.

I think I'm going to make a boot USB disk and try that route, this one's just not having it. But I appreciate all the help, thank you.

Stuck trying to re-install Mac OSX (Sierra)

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.