Apple Event: May 7th at 7 am PT

Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

iTunes launches randomly, and annoyingly

This happened a few years ago, and after a week or two of total exasperation, it stopped. Well, it's happening again. Out of the blue, iTunes just wants to launch. Boom. Nothing obvious that's making it want to launch. Nothing changed in my system. Not connecting any devices. In fact, I have TOLD iTunes not to open automatically when a device is connected. I kill iTunes, and it pops up again. I force-quit it, and maybe it stays quit, maybe it doesn't.

I do not use iTunes, and I'd just dump the software if I could. In fact, I'm at least thinking of going into my terminal window and changing the name of iTunes.app, so when something tries to open it, it can't find it.

How can I stop this, without just decapitating iTunes?????? I believe this problem is rampant enough that there is an app called noTunes that disables iTunes. Trouble is, it only works on 10.12+.

OS 10.11.6.

Posted on Sep 2, 2019 6:21 AM

Question marked as Best reply

Posted on Sep 2, 2019 1:02 PM

Unfortunately, that's not a fix, that's a tear-it-all-down-and-rebuild answer. My system worked for years and years without this happening. SOMETHING made it start to happen. A fix would tell me what that something was.

Actually, in the last few minutes, when iTunes was opened, I logged on to my account, and then signed off. That seems to have reset something, and iTunes is now staying closed. Kinda bizarre, because I never use iTunes. iTunes was very very upset about something having to do with my account that it wasn't connected to, and had almost never connected to. I think I satisfied it.

13 replies
Question marked as Best reply

Sep 2, 2019 1:02 PM in response to MrHoffman

Unfortunately, that's not a fix, that's a tear-it-all-down-and-rebuild answer. My system worked for years and years without this happening. SOMETHING made it start to happen. A fix would tell me what that something was.

Actually, in the last few minutes, when iTunes was opened, I logged on to my account, and then signed off. That seems to have reset something, and iTunes is now staying closed. Kinda bizarre, because I never use iTunes. iTunes was very very upset about something having to do with my account that it wasn't connected to, and had almost never connected to. I think I satisfied it.

Sep 2, 2019 10:02 AM in response to Dannymac22

Post the EtreCheck. Open a reply here, press the button that looks like a printed page to get a text input box that’s large enough to paste the hardware and software configuration report here. The list of usual suspects for weird behavior includes anti-malware, and a few other bits.

I’ve also seen weak mouse and trackpad batteries do odd stuff, and I’ve met a Bluetooth device under a pile of papers that launched stuff. It’s also possible to set up a shortcut that launches an app.

OS X 10.11 is getting pretty old, and an upgrade can be reasonable—if your apps and your hardware can support that.

Sep 2, 2019 10:48 AM in response to Dannymac22

Yeah, this system is old and looks to have accreted over the years. That happens to many systems, too.

That does tend to be problematic though, as updates are installed and other updates are not installed.

Three anti-malware packages, simbl, gatekeeper off, tools for cooling system overrides, Silverlight, Flash, oddly-smaller sudoers, missing hunks of apps...

Other stuff is chewing a fair amount of processor time in this snapshot, too.

I’d back up, back up again, wipe, and then migrate just the documents, and then re-install what apps you currently need.

Sep 2, 2019 2:08 PM in response to Dannymac22

Answer or not, nuke-and-pave is easy and fast, and it resolves cases where older systems have accumulated.

Spending time and effort to determine the trigger on older systems often led to re-debugging old and long-fixed bugs, and still left me needing to re-install, or to upgrade.

The Migration Assistant stuff works quite well, too. Having used it many times.

The fiction that a (networked) computer can be or is static is popular too, yes. Anti-malware gets updates. Networks and peers and protocols change. Corruptions arise.

Worse for everybody, old and insecure systems are targeted using automated tools, breached, and then these victim systems see various “new” uses such as forwarding spam, distributed denials of service attacks, network relays, etc. And that’s,after credentials and financials and related are harvested.

iTunes launches randomly, and annoyingly

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.