Want to highlight a helpful answer? Upvote!

Did someone help you, or did an answer or User Tip resolve your issue? Upvote by selecting the upvote arrow. Your feedback helps others! Learn more about when to upvote >

Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

Family Sharing

I can't use my own payment method while part of family sharing, how do I change this? Hasn't been an issue for 6 months until now

iPhone XS

Posted on Sep 2, 2019 9:02 AM

Question marked as Best reply

Posted on Sep 2, 2019 9:19 AM

You can't use your payment method when you are part of Family Sharing. Only the organizer's credit card can be used.

Buy/redeem iTunes Gift cards to the account. Charges will be deducted from the account balance before the organizer's credit card is charged.

App Store & iTunes Gift Cards by Email

Gift cards redeem

Gift Card - can’t redeem

2 replies
Question marked as Best reply

Sep 2, 2019 9:19 AM in response to judson0110

You can't use your payment method when you are part of Family Sharing. Only the organizer's credit card can be used.

Buy/redeem iTunes Gift cards to the account. Charges will be deducted from the account balance before the organizer's credit card is charged.

App Store & iTunes Gift Cards by Email

Gift cards redeem

Gift Card - can’t redeem

Sep 2, 2019 9:35 AM in response to judson0110

Here's an article explaining how payment works when using Family Sharing:

Family purchases and payments - Apple Support

Except it has an error and is misleading. It omits to mention that an individual with account balance will have their account chanrged first before any remainder being charged to the organizer's account. That is clearly stated in: How App Store and iTunes Store purchases are billed - Apple Support

Family Sharing

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.