Apple Event: May 7th at 7 am PT

Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

Photos app - import without making a copy, save changes back to original file

I have a bunch of photos on an external drive which I would like to import to Photos app to add geo tag and to adjust date/time. However, I would also like to keep the photos on that external drive and not make a copy.

So I imported the photos without making a copy and am able to make the changes, but it looks like I am not able to apply those changes back to the images on the external hard drive unless I export them from Photos app to that location (which results in copies since Photos' export does not overwrite the files).

Is there a way to have Photos app directly apply those changes to the files on my external drive? Ordinarily, I would just import all the contents of that drive into Photos but I am trying to stay away from bringing all my photos into Photo Library so I understand that I may be going anti-pattern.

Any tips would be welcome.

MacBook Pro Retina

Posted on Sep 2, 2019 9:49 AM

Question marked as Best reply

Posted on Sep 2, 2019 10:24 AM

Is there a way to have Photos app directly apply those changes to the files on my external drive? Ordinarily, I would just import all the contents of that drive into Photos but I am trying to stay away from bringing all my photos into Photo Library so I understand that I may be going anti-pattern.

No, it's not possible. An alternate solution would be to use a 3rd party app like HoudahGeo to modify the GPS info in an image file and an EXIF editing app like Photos Exif Editor or SnipTag for Mac for the dates.

Similar questions

2 replies
Question marked as Best reply

Sep 2, 2019 10:24 AM in response to rpmm

No, it's not possible. An alternate solution would be to use a 3rd party app like HoudahGeo to modify the GPS info in an image file and an EXIF editing app like Photos Exif Editor or SnipTag for Mac for the dates.

Photos app - import without making a copy, save changes back to original file

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.