Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

What is the difference between the smart keyboard folio for ipad pro and the smart keyboard for ipad air?

I've heard that the apple smart keyboard for ipad air has fewer functions than the smart keyboard folio for ipad pro. Is this true? What exactly are the differences?

Posted on Sep 2, 2019 11:33 AM

Question marked as Best reply

Posted on Sep 2, 2019 11:40 AM

Smart Keyboard for the new 2019, 10.5 inch screen iPad Air 3 uses the older version smart keyboard designed to be used with the 2017, 10.5 inch screen iPad Pro.

The smart FOLIO keyboard is specifically for the newer designed 2018, iPad Pad models.

9 replies

Sep 2, 2019 2:40 PM in response to deborahlwilson

They are very similar in function. Apple has never included iOS shortcut keys on the Smart keyboards. You have to press the cmd on them to see what shortcuts are available within any app.

While I'm as big a fan of Apple products as one can be, the Smart Keyboards are not an option I would personally choose. There are many other high quality options there you can choose from, like Zagg, Logitech and Brydge, just to name three of the higher quality brands. They are however, Bluetooth keyboards, but all offer iOS shortcut keys and all include backlit keys, two major features that are missing on the Smart Keyboards and both very important to me.

I personally chose Brydge for my iPad Pro 11. It's the best keyboard for iPad I've ever typed on.

Sep 2, 2019 2:43 PM in response to deborahlwilson

Magnets for the iPad Air 3 smart keyboard functionality are on the bottom of your iPad to interface with the case.

For the 2018 iPad Pro they are on the inside of one of the FOLIO case’s cover's panels and on the back of the 2018 iPad Pro.

As far a no function keys, the smart keyboards offer other alternatives to access some of the function key functionalities, but you will ALWAYS need the assitamce of the iPad's onboard, internal, virtual software keyboard for many features Bluetooth keyboards, even Apple's, do not cover.

Even if with third party software keyboards this still will always be true.

Best of Luck to You!

What is the difference between the smart keyboard folio for ipad pro and the smart keyboard for ipad air?

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.