Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

I can't create an @icloud.com email address

Hi all,

I'm trying to migrate from Google and Yahoo to iCloud, but per the subject line, I get stuck in an infinite loop over here on the Choose an iCloud email address panel.

Predictably all the addresses I want to use are already taken, but when I do get one I'm happy with, I get to the Create name@icloud.com? panel which informs me that I cannot change the email address after creating it. If I press okay, it just takes me right back to the Choose an iCloud email address panel and I can't progress!

I've rebooted my MacBook, tried it on my phone, but no luck!

Any advice would be appreciated as this is a rather urgent matter for me.

Thanks in advance!

Posted on Sep 3, 2019 1:34 AM

Question marked as Best reply

Posted on Sep 3, 2019 1:37 AM

If you made your Apple ID with the google email address then you can’t change the Apple ID email to a iCloud, if not try this,

https://support.apple.com/kb/ph2620?locale=en_AU - How to make a iCloud email

Good luck!

16 replies

Sep 5, 2019 4:45 AM in response to Ey3God

a ) Open system preferences > click on iCloud and click on sign out , you can see a window stating do you want to keep a copy of your iCloud data on this Mac before signing out ? The boxes iCloud Drive , contacts , calendars , reminders are checked by default - so click on keep a copy . A pop up window will appear are you sure you want to stop updating and continue with sign out ( any documents not updated to iCloud Drive , will be moved to a folder named “ iCloud Drive archive in your home folder on this Mac ) so don’t click on “ cancel “ but " click on continue with sign out ."

A pop up window will appear . Do you want to keep a copy of safari passwords on this Mac ?

( 1 ) Delete from Mac ( 2 ) cancel ( 3 ) keep on Mac .So its optional you can select keep on Mac or click on delete from Mac ( as some users write down the safari passwords in a safe place and they can autofill it again . )

( b ) It will prompt enter the Apple ID password for mail address to turn off find my Mac , so enter your Apple ID password and click on continue , a small circle will rotate , be patient .

In the upcoming screen shot delete the Apple ID completely from the box .

Note : in the above method if you had already signed an apple created with gmail services say example1@gmail.com

In the above screen shot click on create Apple ID , say example2@icloud.com and then follow the upcoming steps .

Second method is sign in with your existing Apple ID signed in system preferences > iCloud at www.icloud.com

and don't fill up the id and password in the field ( only apple account page will open ) , click on create your free Apple ID and get started today .

Fill up the credentials and create a new Apple ID , note : the id that was previously created can't be repeated and only 3 maximum ids ending with iCloud domain are permitted from Mac hardware address , once id is created it's suffix can't be changed , may be using gmail services , yahoo ...icloud .

Sep 5, 2019 4:40 AM in response to Ey3God

If you have already created an @icloud.com address on that account you can't change it or create another main address. If you've forgotten what it is, go to https://www.icloud.com: go to the Mail page: click the cogwheel icon at bottom left, choose Preferences, and in the pane which opens choose Accounts. This will show you your address.

As I say, you can't change it. However you can add up to three 'email aliases' - these are additional addresses (not accounts) which deliver into the same inbox as the main account. (In fact it's a good idea to give out alias addresses, rather than the main address, because if they attract spam you can easily change them.)

You should be aware before you start that once you've created an alias you cannot turn that address into a full iCloud account or move it to another account.

More information on aliases here: https://help.apple.com/icloud/#mm6b1a490a

Sep 3, 2019 4:06 AM in response to Ey3God

Your second image suggests that the system thinks you are trying to create johnappleseed as your address - of course this is an Apple placeholder and you obviously can't use it. Have you deleted it from the field before adding your own proposed address? The address can be anything which hasn't been taken, but most simple ones such as Christian names will already have been taken.

Did you create the iCloud using an Apple ID which is a non-Apple address? Once you've managed to create an @icloud.com address you can change the ID to the iCloud address: however I strongly advise not doing this. If you don't want to use the address which is currently your Apple ID you can create a free address somewhere and change to that. It's not a good idea for your login to be the same as the address you give out, as that removes one later of security. Also if you do this Apple wouldn't be able to contact you in the event something goes wrong with the account unless you make sure to provide a 'rescue' address which is a non-Apple one.

Sep 5, 2019 4:21 AM in response to Roger Wilmut1

Hi Roger,

Per the previous post, I was just using johnappleseed as a placeholder.

FYI I still can't create an @icloud.com address to associate with my iCloud account (which I'm currently signed into with an @gmail.com account); no matter what I do, iCloud point blank refuses to allow me to create an @icloud.com address.

I don't know if it's because I'm running MacOS 10.12.6, but I've since upgraded my iPhone to run the most recent update and will see if I can create an address from there (prior to this update, I couldn't).

This is rather infuriating as I simply can't get to the bottom of it.

I think I did successfully create an @icloud.com address in the past that was associated to this @gmail.com account, and I think I created one before that associated to an older @yahoo.co.uk account that I've since stopped using, but I have no idea how to track down either of these.

Any advice?

Sep 5, 2019 7:33 AM in response to tygb

I actually have a new question for you:

I have two Apple IDs: the one I'm currently using that is linked to a Gmail account, the other out of use one to a Yahoo one.

The Yahoo one has the name.surname@icloud.com address that, whereas the Gmail one is name.surname8@icloud.com.

I know this is probably not possible, but... Can I delete the @icloud.com address currently linked to my Gmail account, completely delete the Yahoo Apple ID, and then reinstate the @icloud.com address I want for my in use Gmail account?

Hopefully this post makes sense; I know it's very messy!

Sep 5, 2019 7:58 AM in response to Ey3God

The basic principle is from system preferences > iCloud the existing Apple ID is signed in , it could be with gmail service ( an Apple ID created say eample1@gmail.com and it is configured to iCloud server , if you wish that you want to sign out from gmail Apple ID , do it then sign in with already created an Apple ID with yahoo services say example2@yahoo.com it can be done but this id should be properly created in the past with secondary authentication account ( in which a rescue mail address and its password is set , three correct answers for security questions , date of birth ) .

This is just like switching from one account to the other , may be from gmail account to yahoo , then plan to sign in with iCloud domain > sign out then sign in with id created with 2FA > again sign out 2FA and sign in with hotmail account id .....it goes on .

Yes you can again sign with another id using iCloud domain .

Sep 5, 2019 7:58 AM in response to Ey3God

The basic principle is from system preferences > iCloud the existing Apple ID is signed in , it could be with gmail service ( an Apple ID created say eample1@gmail.com and it is configured to iCloud server , if you wish that you want to sign out from gmail Apple ID , do it then sign in with already created an Apple ID with yahoo services say example2@yahoo.com it can be done but this id should be properly created in the past with secondary authentication account ( in which a rescue mail address and its password is set , three correct answers for security questions , date of birth ) .

This is just like switching from one account to the other , may be from gmail account to yahoo , then plan to sign in with iCloud domain > sign out then sign in with id created with 2FA > again sign out 2FA and sign in with hotmail account id .....it goes on .

Sep 5, 2019 8:00 AM in response to Ey3God

I can't create an @icloud.com email address

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.