Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

My Apple TV remote control turns the TV on but TV screen stays black. Any tips ?

My Apple TV remote control turns the TV on but screen remains dark and does not show the Apple TV menu. It used to work before. Any tips ? My general settings for TV control ok. My TV is Insignia.

Posted on Sep 3, 2019 7:53 AM

Question marked as Best reply

Posted on Sep 4, 2019 7:03 AM

I was able to solve the issue with Insignia TV turning on but not showing Apple TV content. In Apple TV settings, just turned off control Tvs and receivers. Now Apple TV remote turns on Apple TV and TV shows content. Most likely the TV goes to sleep mode so faster to link to Apple TV again. Thanks all for your tips.

3 replies
Question marked as Best reply

Sep 4, 2019 7:03 AM in response to Miamiappletv

I was able to solve the issue with Insignia TV turning on but not showing Apple TV content. In Apple TV settings, just turned off control Tvs and receivers. Now Apple TV remote turns on Apple TV and TV shows content. Most likely the TV goes to sleep mode so faster to link to Apple TV again. Thanks all for your tips.

Sep 3, 2019 9:01 AM in response to Miamiappletv

Miamiappletv Said:

My Apple TV remote control turns the TV on but TV screen stays black.

———-

Some Thoughts:

• Insignia Television Vs. Apple TV:

Plug this Apple TV into a different video device. Plug a different device into the Insignia TV. If any issues, it’s connectivity the getting in the way here.

• HDMI Cable:

Plug this HDMI into an input port on the Insignia Television. Be certain you are selecting the correct port number. Try using a different HDMI cable if the connection is broken. Power on your Insignia TV, if there is not power to it.

• Contact Insignia:

Check with Insignia and see if they can do anything about this from their end. You would find a “Contact Us” link somewhere in the the “Help & Support” section or the bottom of Insignia’s Home Page.

Sep 3, 2019 12:44 PM in response to Miamiappletv

To have the TV switch to the HDMI port of the connected and powered on set top box, is a function of HDMI-CEC. To make use of this functionality, the HDMI-CEC must be turned on on all HDMI devices that you want supported for this.

• Your TV manual will state if this is a supported feature, and how to operate it.
  • Your Apple TV (tvOS 12) activates/deactivates HDMI-CEC by Settings﹥Remotes and Devices﹥Control TVs and Receivers﹥On|Off.

My Apple TV remote control turns the TV on but TV screen stays black. Any tips ?

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.