Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

The guest user account icon is not visible on the login screen

I enabled the Gues tuser account in "users and groups" (from my administrator account) but the guest user account icon is not visible on the login screen

[Re-Titled by Moderator]

Posted on Sep 4, 2019 8:01 AM

Question marked as Best reply

Posted on Sep 4, 2019 12:48 PM

Perhaps you need to set the "Display login window as -- list of users" in the "Login Options" of the Users & Groups System Preferences pane. The "Login Options" is at the lower left corner of the "Users & Groups" system preferences pane. You will need to click on the padlock and supply your password before making any changes there.

Also, make sure the "Automatic Login" option is turned off (it's located at the top of the same Login Options pane).

Good luck...

11 replies
Question marked as Best reply

Sep 4, 2019 12:48 PM in response to ronsebonsje

Perhaps you need to set the "Display login window as -- list of users" in the "Login Options" of the Users & Groups System Preferences pane. The "Login Options" is at the lower left corner of the "Users & Groups" system preferences pane. You will need to click on the padlock and supply your password before making any changes there.

Also, make sure the "Automatic Login" option is turned off (it's located at the top of the same Login Options pane).

Good luck...

Sep 5, 2019 8:50 AM in response to ronsebonsje

Sounding a bit like either a Hardware problem or a Re-install needed, but...

EtreCheck is a simple little app to display the important details of your system configuration and allow you to copy that information to the Clipboard. It is meant to be used with Apple Support Communities to help people help you with your Mac.

http://www.etresoft.com/etrecheck

Pastebin is a good place to paste the whole report...

https://pastebin.com/

Workable but harder for me to work with...the Note tool on the bottom of this editor's toolbar, as shown in the image, to copy and paste the output from EtreCheck.

Sep 4, 2019 11:52 AM in response to BDAqua

Thanks, I opened your link but do not understand what to do with the information in it.

I did have a guest user account till I upgraded the OS to High Sierra (version 10.13.6).

I still have login icons for my admin account and for 2 standard accounts ( 1 of the standard accounts created after the upgrade to High Sierra) and those 3 accounts are all fine.

Hope you can help

Sep 5, 2019 12:26 AM in response to BDAqua

Thanks both of you. All the settings were as dot.com suggested and I did not change them but no guest user icon visible on the login screen.

Just " to try something " I clicked the box 'enable parental controls' (in the Guest users account in users&groups) and to my surprise after that the guest user icon was visible on the login screen and I was able to get in to that account. Tried opening a webpage and that worked well. But when I logged out by clicking "delete files and log out" the screen turned black and stayed black for more then 5 minutes; the only thing visible was the cursor. No respons to any of the keys from key board. Switched computer of with power button. Switched computer on again and could login to admin account without problems. Unchecked the 'parental control box' in guest account; logged off as administrator and after that the guest user icon was still visible on the login screen. Logged in on the guest user account but again on logging of by clicking "delete files and log out" the screen went black etc. and I had to switch power off.

Before upgrading to HighSierra I was able to use the Guest User account without problem (and the icon was no longer there after the upgrade). Hope you experienced clever guys can help and perhaps explain what is or might be happening (by now I switched the Guest User account off)

Sep 6, 2019 4:23 AM in response to BDAqua

Thanks BDAqua,

I am not that clever in dealing with computers and for that reason I do not want to 'disturb' working systems to much.

As I want to upgrade to Mojave do you think that might also solve the problems with the "Guest User Account" or do you consider it unwise to upgrade now before the Guest User Account problem is further evaluated.

Should I download 'EtreCheck" or "EtreCheck Pro" ?

NB I do make backups on a separate Hard drive (if that's the correct name) and also use a MacBook Air.

Sep 7, 2019 1:04 AM in response to BDAqua

Thanks BDAqua

I did download and run the EtreCheck and the report showed "major issues".

As I am so unskilled in dealing with for me out of the ordinary actions on a computer and as I thought that repairing the fault would need verbal contact with somebody to talk me to the procedure I did call Apple support.

The problem was solved via a code put into "Terminal".

Thanks again for your support

The guest user account icon is not visible on the login screen

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.