Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

does anyone know if when you migrate my old macbookpro to new macbookpro will all my third party apps move too

does anyone know if when you migrate my old macbookpro to new macbookpro will all my third party apps move too

Posted on Sep 4, 2019 8:44 AM

Question marked as Best reply

Posted on Sep 5, 2019 7:35 AM

Third party apps migrate yes.

Keep in mind the future release of macOS 10.15 Catalina, applications will have to be 64-bit. App developers will issue updated apps if they want their apps to work on these future releases.

32-bit app compatibility with macOS High Sierra 10.13 ... - Apple Support

https://support.apple.com/en-us/HT208436

4 replies
Question marked as Best reply

Sep 5, 2019 7:35 AM in response to Garysb56

Third party apps migrate yes.

Keep in mind the future release of macOS 10.15 Catalina, applications will have to be 64-bit. App developers will issue updated apps if they want their apps to work on these future releases.

32-bit app compatibility with macOS High Sierra 10.13 ... - Apple Support

https://support.apple.com/en-us/HT208436

Sep 5, 2019 6:16 AM in response to Garysb56

Hello and welcome to Apple Support Communities, Garysb56!

I understand you want to know if moving data from your old MacBook Pro to your new MacBook Pro will also move third party apps. I'd be happy to provide more information about this.

Have a look at the following article: How to move your content to a new Mac

As you can see, the applications folder is completely moved over.

I hope this helps.

Have a great day!

Sep 5, 2019 8:02 AM in response to Garysb56

Migration/Setup Assistant will allow you to transfer your data, applications, and configurations from one computer to another. Depending on the age of the old computer this can be accomplished in target disk mode or using a TimeMachine backup. If you’ve been updating your older computer’s software as new versions come out the migration of applications should be relatively painless. If your software is old you may have to upgrade some of it to run on the new computer. If you have any incompatible software the migration software won’t transfer it at all.

Over the years I’ve used Setup Assistant to move from one computer to another more often than not. Only when I purchased my first MBA in 2011 did I actually hand install all my apps transfer data - mostly because I was moving from a 1TB MBP to a 256GB MBA. As I said, incompatible software won’t be migrated and unlike Windows, the Mac isn’t slowed down by old stuff that’s no longer being used.

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.