Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

i can't see screen on old macbook to use migration assistant

i can't see the screen on old mac (which is why I purchased new macbook) so I can't use migration assistant to transfer apps to new macbook air. how else can i get apps from old macbook onto new macbook?

MacBook Pro 15″, macOS 12.4

Posted on Jun 16, 2022 7:22 AM

Question marked as Best reply

Posted on Jun 16, 2022 7:32 AM

kmac0904 wrote:

i can't see the screen on old mac (which is why I purchased new macbook) so I can't use migration assistant to transfer apps to new macbook air. how else can i get apps from old macbook onto new macbook?

Typically you don't need a screen— Migration assistants works from an "external" backup hard drive in the same way...

What is the issue(?)

The most trouble free way to move to a new machine, is using the Setup Assistant on the initial boot of a brand new machine— you have one shot here. Set up your MacBook Pro - Apple Support

The second best way is use the Migration Assistant.

How to move your content to a new Mac Move your content to a new Mac - Apple Support

7 replies
Question marked as Best reply

Jun 16, 2022 7:32 AM in response to kmac0904

kmac0904 wrote:

Typically you don't need a screen— Migration assistants works from an "external" backup hard drive in the same way...

What is the issue(?)

The most trouble free way to move to a new machine, is using the Setup Assistant on the initial boot of a brand new machine— you have one shot here. Set up your MacBook Pro - Apple Support

The second best way is use the Migration Assistant.

How to move your content to a new Mac Move your content to a new Mac - Apple Support

Jun 17, 2022 5:36 AM in response to Grant Bennet-Alder

Thank you for this. The problem remains that my new MacBook Air has Apple silicon (M1 chip) and according to the instructions for transferring files/apps to this laptop, I eventually have to open Finder on the old Mac (as opposed to the Migration Assistant) in order to complete the file copying/transfer to the new laptop. Every method I have tried requires me to open a file/view the screen on the old MacBook Pro - which I cannot do because the LED (or LCD - whatever it is) does not work. I can see around the top edge of the screen that the MacBook Pro is running, but I cannot see enough of the screen to see the cursor and open any files. I'm at a loss as to how I can transfer Apps (Microsoft apps) to my new laptop given that I cannot see the screen of my old MacBook.

Jun 17, 2022 6:22 AM in response to kmac0904

Target Display Mode on the old Mac does not use Finder. It allows you to mount the drive from the old Mac as a directly-connected drive on your new Mac. Then you don't need to change any settings for the drive, just import directly from it.

Alternatively, if your old Mac has an HDMI port, or you can obtain an adapter, you can connect your TV set as an external display for the old Mac.

Jun 17, 2022 7:31 AM in response to Grant Bennet-Alder

My old MacBook is not that old - 2018 - and has the up-to-date version of iOS.

I have tried wireless migrating and I have also directly connected the old and new MacBook using the thunderbolt cord - my files have transferred but not Microsoft Apps. When i connect the two MacBooks, and open Migration Assistant in the new MacBook, I get the following instruction:

"When transferring from another Mac, open the Migration Assistant app in the Utilities folder on that Mac and select "to another Mac" - which I am unable to do. I've also tried turning off the old MacBook and restarting it while holding down the "T" key per another instruction.

I can tell that the new MacBook can "see" that the old MacBook is here, but I cannot figure out how to make the Target Display Mode work. When I connect the old MacBook to the new one, I get a message "Cannot Use Thunderbolt Accessory - Connect accessory to a Thunderbolt port on this Mac." But that's exactly what I've done and it does not work.

I'm really not a moron, but I have followed Apple's instructions for different methods of getting all the data and apps from my old laptop to the new one and they are not working. I guess I'll try connecting to a TV and see whether that will allow me to see the screen on my old MacBook? Or is it just not possible for the Word. Excel, etc to migrate to the new laptop?

Jun 17, 2022 8:35 AM in response to kmac0904

What kind of old Mac? If it's one with a 2.5" SATA hard drive (or maybe SSD) it's possible to just remove it and connect it with a USB enclosure or interface cable.

Also - Migration Assistant isn't ideal because it doesn't exactly replicate everything although it does copy over data. I recall it would tend to create everything as extra accounts on top of the master account that's previously generated. Ideally one would just reset MacOS to "out of the box" conditions, which allows for the use of Setup Assistant.

i can't see screen on old macbook to use migration assistant

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.