Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

So I installed High Sierra on my Mac Mini and it ask for a password which i never entered

So this is the problem.

I bought a mac mini 2010. Had a hard drive in it (1tb with yosemite)

I took the HD from my old 2006 mac mini (ssd) and swapped them.

Everything worked. Great success!

But my ssd is 10.6.

I attach the yosemite and then startup with it.

the mac mini starts up.

then i say upgrade to sierra (which is available on the 1tb yosemite hd)

so it starts installing high sierra, which takes a very long time! I go sleep and yes, it installed overnight.

my old ssd username was davidgilmour.

so it shows the login screen with davidgilmour and another user David Gilmour.

it asks for a password. I enter nothing because i never used a password on my ssd old mac mini.

the 1tb yosemite also did not have a password.

and nothing happens, it keeps asking for a password!

i can’t login (when i push the enter key) it remains on the login screen!

so what happened? Did it create a password without telling me? How do i fix this?

Posted on Sep 6, 2019 4:24 AM

Question marked as Best reply

Posted on Sep 6, 2019 4:27 AM

On any mac os version You must to have an administrator user account with password to allow any changes in mac os system.Try to boot to recovery pressing and holding command+R at boot up and in recovery use terminal with ressetpassword command and try to reset Your user account password.

Similar questions

4 replies

Sep 6, 2019 4:59 AM in response to miskeecare

So, i did not see what happened overnight. Did apple create a master password for me? I really can’t believe this! So anyway, i pressed cmd R and this shows up

a screen with macOS utilities

”restore from time machine backup” ( i dont have one, so cant use this)

”reinstall macos” (the recovery server could not be contacted when i press this one)

”get help online” (no internet)

”disk utility”

so i thought, what now? Wait, i have a great idea. Let met just startup with the 1tb yosemite, so i do that and guess what, same login screen again!

and now what ever i try, i cant get into recovery mode, it keeps going to the login screen, no matter how many times I press command-R.

So I installed High Sierra on my Mac Mini and it ask for a password which i never entered

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.