How to log in Mac OS High Sierra with a blank password?

I just updated my old MacBook Pro 2012 to High Sierra. Tried to clean install. The file seemed to be corrupted. So I restored the Mac from a TimeMachine Backup. Now to log in, I need to type a password. The password is no password (it's blank). On the other OS, I was able to just click on the session picture to log in. Now it's asking me for a password. I left a hint: The hint says, no password. It's literally a blank password. Nothing. I tried to press enter... I just can't log in.

Any help would be greatly appreciated.

Note that I also tried to log in in safe mode, but that din't do anything.

Posted on Oct 8, 2023 11:28 AM

Question marked as Best reply

Posted on Oct 8, 2023 1:03 PM

Replying to myself, if ever someone have the same issue: I pressed CMD or CTRL or Fn or SHIFT and I got to where you can type the user name or password. Clicked back then I was able to just click on the session picture to go in.

3 replies

Oct 8, 2023 12:16 PM in response to Samuel Campeau

Samuel Campeau wrote:

I just updated my old MacBook Pro 2012 to High Sierra. Tried to clean install. The file seemed to be corrupted. So I restored the Mac from a TimeMachine Backup. Now to log in, I need to type a password. The password is no password (it's blank). On the other OS, I was able to just click on the session picture to log in. Now it's asking me for a password. I left a hint: The hint says, no password. It's literally a blank password. Nothing. I tried to press enter... I just can't log in.

Any help would be greatly appreciated.

Note that I also tried to log in in safe mode, but that din't do anything.

I would never leave the psswd blank...

You can try changing it, same as here:

If you forgot your Mac login password

https://support.apple.com/en-us/HT202860

Reset your Mac login password - Apple Support

macOS User Guide - Apple Support

If you can't reset your Mac login password

https://support.apple.com/en-us/HT212190

How to log in Mac OS High Sierra with a blank password?

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.