MacBook Air 11 unable to log in

On the main log in page I enter my password (I can’t remember it) and no mater how many times I do it the password recovery never comes up? Any ideas please

iPhone 13, iOS 16

Posted on Apr 17, 2023 9:26 PM

Question marked as Best reply

Posted on Apr 17, 2023 9:33 PM

jacklyn41 Said:

"MacBook Air 11 unable to log in: On the main log in page I enter my password (I can’t remember it) and no mater how many times I do it the password recovery never comes up? Any ideas please"

-------

Troubleshooting a Mac Login:

Reset the Password Using the Login Screen:

You'd go through your Apple ID to perform this. Find out more here: If you Forgot your Mac Login Password - Apple Support. Make sure that caps lock is not enabled when typing it. No Success? Go here: If you can't Reset your Mac Login Password - Apple Support

7 replies
Question marked as Best reply

Apr 17, 2023 9:33 PM in response to jacklyn41

jacklyn41 Said:

"MacBook Air 11 unable to log in: On the main log in page I enter my password (I can’t remember it) and no mater how many times I do it the password recovery never comes up? Any ideas please"

-------

Troubleshooting a Mac Login:

Reset the Password Using the Login Screen:

You'd go through your Apple ID to perform this. Find out more here: If you Forgot your Mac Login Password - Apple Support. Make sure that caps lock is not enabled when typing it. No Success? Go here: If you can't Reset your Mac Login Password - Apple Support

Apr 17, 2023 9:53 PM in response to jacklyn41

jacklyn41 Said:

-------

Troubleshooting a Mac Keyboard:

Reset the SMC and your NVRAM:

(Applies to Intel-Based Macs Only): Sometimes when changes are made to the system(i.e. Updates), system configurations (i.e. for keys) become manipulated, technically. So, reset the SMC and NVRAM. Try performing each thrice. It may take sometime, being certain you have the time to perform these resets. (Applies to Intel-Based Macs Only).

Apr 18, 2023 12:13 AM in response to jacklyn41

Here are a few suggestions to help you recover or reset your password:

1. Reset using your Apple ID(available in OS X Lion or later):

If you've previously associated your Apple ID with your user account, you can follow these steps to reset your password:

1. On the login screen, click on your username, and enter an incorrect password a few times.

2. You should see a message saying "If you forgot your password, you can reset it using your Apple ID."

3. Click on the arrow next to the message to start the password reset process.

4. Follow the on-screen instructions to reset your password using your Apple ID.

2. Reset password using Recovery Mode:

If you can't reset your password using the Apple ID method, you can try resetting it using Recovery Mode. Here's how:

1. Turn off your MacBook Air.

2. Press and hold the `Command` and `R` keys while pressing the power button to turn on your MacBook Air. Release the keys when you see the Apple logo.

3. Your MacBook Air should now boot into macOS Recovery mode. Choose your language and click the arrow to proceed.

4. In the macOS Utilities window, choose "Terminal" from the "Utilities" menu.

5. In the Terminal window, type `resetpassword` and press `Enter`. This will launch the Reset Password utility.

6. Select the user account for which you want to reset the password, enter a new password, and provide a password hint if desired.

7. Click "Save" and then restart your MacBook Air. You should now be able to log in using the new password.

3. Reset password using another admin account:

If there's another admin account on your MacBook Air, you can use it to reset the password for your user account:

1. Log in to the other admin account.

2. Open "System Preferences" and go to "Users & Groups."

3. Click the lock icon and enter the admin password to unlock settings.

4. Select your user account from the list on the left, and click the "Reset Password" button.

5. Enter a new password, and optionally a password hint, then click "Change Password."

Apr 18, 2023 3:51 AM in response to jacklyn41

Hello jacklyn41,

you can reset your password using this method:

1: Reboot in Recovery Mode. Shut down your Mac, then start up with Command + R.

2: Click “Utilities” at the menu bar then click “Terminal”.

3: type resetpassword then press Enter.

4: A window should Pop-Up. Follow the steps.

5: Reboot and enter your new password in the login screen.

Done: Your password is reset!

Hope I could help!

MacBook Air 11 unable to log in

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.