Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

Why is managing Safari cookies so clumsy and hard?

Like many internet users, I remain quite frustrated with cookies and their insidious installation on my browsers and machine without my permission. But I don't understand why Safari, from a company that lauds its privacy efforts in its products, makes it so difficult to manage cookies. I know how to remove them in the "preferences => privacy =>manage website data =>remove all data" drill that I use multiple times a session to remove all the junk. But his is clumsy and time consuming, and I occasionally forget.

I want to use safari for a variety of reasons, but there must be a way to protect my browser more conveniently. Brave, Firefox, and Opera browsers all make this much easier with an almost one step process, but even better an option to "remove all cookies when closing the browser", which makes the most sense. Apple continues to insist on an all or nothing approach to cookies, either not allowing any or allowing all, with the clumsy manual removal process.

Does anyone have a better process for managing Safari cookies or perhaps an aftermarket solution?

Thanks!

Posted on Sep 6, 2019 6:16 AM

8 replies

Sep 8, 2019 7:11 PM in response to William Mcclatchey1

I am totally amazed at the general acceptance of the invasive cookies which seem to be accepted by so many with minimal disclosure. Its as if the world has accepted cameras in their living rooms with scarcely a whimper of protest.

A Discussion that began with Safari's use of cookies... to cameras in living rooms, bedrooms, bathrooms, whatever... is quite the leap. It's a very broad subject, but... cookies? Really? Your concern is misplaced.

In any event "Remove Website Data" is not the solution you seek, for the reasons you state.

I am not clear on the impact of "private" mode in Safari, but need to explore.

When you quit or close a Private Browsing session, cookies, history, searches, Autofill... everything is deleted. Gone. Nothing gets shared among devices. Nothing is shared even among Private Browsing tabs or windows. It's the obvious answer to your concern as originally stated. Concerns regarding privacy in general is a subject worthy of a new Discussion of its own.

In addition to Private Browsing, Safari offers options to prevent cross-site tracking and other site behaviors that are arguably invasive.

Apple's commitment to individual privacy and data security borders on the maniacal. They think about these things.

Sep 7, 2019 4:02 PM in response to William Mcclatchey1

Like many internet users, I remain quite frustrated with cookies and their insidious installation on my browsers and machine without my permission.

Like many internet users, you have succumbed to the FUD.

Cookies are neither insidious or malicious. They just help you not have to re-enter the same mundane, trivial information each time you access a website.

Sep 8, 2019 3:43 PM in response to etresoft

Thank you for the responses. I am not clear on the impact of "private" mode in Safari, but need to explore. I have used Cookie, but have not found it comprehensive in its protection. Will see if I can tweak the settings.

I am totally amazed at the general acceptance of the invasive cookies which seem to be accepted by so many with minimal disclosure. Its as if the world has accepted cameras in their living rooms with scarcely a whimper of protest.

Sep 8, 2019 7:12 PM in response to William Mcclatchey1

Do you actually know what a cookie is and how it is used?

Do you know that you have been "tracked" before a cookie is ever written to your hard drive.

Apparently the EU is entirely stupid because we now have to confirm that we know that the internet uses cookies.

Why is managing Safari cookies so clumsy and hard?

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.