Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

Set up Mac Mail with AOL, but a Verizon Email address

I have been receiving my AOL MAIL with a VERIZON.NET email address since Verizon stopped dealing with email about two years ago.

Now I would like to set it up with MacMail. 

At the set-up screen, to choose a mail provider from, I choose AOL.

Then, I choose:

my AOL Account Name

my email address:      …………….. @verizon.net

My AOL Password.

Then it says:   unable to verify account name or password.

And this happens, even though I can access my email at mail.aol.com, where I use the same account name and password.

What could be the problem?

iMac Line (2012 and Later)

Posted on Sep 6, 2019 3:50 PM

Question marked as Best reply

Posted on Sep 7, 2019 7:48 AM

You are welcome. You can try doing a manual setup which should allow you to enter the correct server settings. After filling in the 1st screen, hold down the option/alt key while clicking Continue. Fill in the necessary information, then click continue until all screens are filled in.

Another option is to set the account up as an Other (not AOL). It has been awhile, but I think when I tried using the Other method, I ended up with a POP account instead of IMAP.

6 replies
Question marked as Best reply

Sep 7, 2019 7:48 AM in response to margalina

You are welcome. You can try doing a manual setup which should allow you to enter the correct server settings. After filling in the 1st screen, hold down the option/alt key while clicking Continue. Fill in the necessary information, then click continue until all screens are filled in.

Another option is to set the account up as an Other (not AOL). It has been awhile, but I think when I tried using the Other method, I ended up with a POP account instead of IMAP.

Sep 7, 2019 4:41 AM in response to Eric Root

Thank you very much for your response. I already had those instructions but they didn’t help. The problem is that Mac Mail doesn’t accept my account information and therefore I am not able to update the server settings. I am sure the problem lies with AOL. They could help me but first want me to update my free account to “AOL Live Support Plus” for $4.99 a month. The fact is that I had already received my AOL Mail through Mac Mail. The problem started when I had to to set it up on a new computer. I believe AOL purposely creates this problem. They want you to upgrade.

Set up Mac Mail with AOL, but a Verizon Email address

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.