Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

I Mac late model 2015 2tb Fusion Drive

I have a 2tb fusion drive on my iMac, 3 days ago the hard drive died less than 3 months after the extended warranty ended. I have always watched the storage on the machine when the original hard drive failed I had 2.3 tbs on the machine.

When the machine came back to me I am told that it has a 2tb Sata disk and below that there is now a flash drive that says it has 121gb. I am very concerned that I spent 2500 on a machine new and my major concern is was it repaired correctly? I have read articles that say it should be 1 drive a fusion drive not a mixture of both. Will someone explain it to me. I am severely disabled I spend 15 to 20 hours a day on my iMac reading and browsing, it doesn't seem as fast as it was, I keep getting the rainbow, If I open my external hard drives that store my pictures and videos its slow, did not use to be that way.

Posted on Sep 6, 2019 8:50 PM

Question marked as Best reply

Posted on Sep 7, 2019 7:51 PM

Do you have your original purchase receipt which might provide you with the shipping configuration? If not, then you can contact Apple support (click on the support link) and have Apple look up your serial number to review the original shipping configuration and whether it matches your current configuration. You could also speak with the repair shop to confirm as well assuming it was an Apple Store or an Apple Authorized Service Provider who repaired your computer.

If your computer is running slower, then the Fusion Drive may not have been rebuilt and you are running directly from the internal hard drive which will be much slower. You can rebuild the Fusion Drive using these directions, but you will need to back everything up first:

https://support.apple.com/en-us/HT207584

Similar questions

5 replies
Question marked as Best reply

Sep 7, 2019 7:51 PM in response to R.Bryant

Do you have your original purchase receipt which might provide you with the shipping configuration? If not, then you can contact Apple support (click on the support link) and have Apple look up your serial number to review the original shipping configuration and whether it matches your current configuration. You could also speak with the repair shop to confirm as well assuming it was an Apple Store or an Apple Authorized Service Provider who repaired your computer.

If your computer is running slower, then the Fusion Drive may not have been rebuilt and you are running directly from the internal hard drive which will be much slower. You can rebuild the Fusion Drive using these directions, but you will need to back everything up first:

https://support.apple.com/en-us/HT207584

Sep 7, 2019 8:08 PM in response to HWTech

Yes I have the original receipt when I had the same issue with the computer when it was new. They repaired it and it worked great. Last Saturday Night I was uploading movies and the computer froze, would not reboot and the Stop sign came up, no matter what I did it would not reboot. I took it to an authorized apple repair and they put everything on the flash drive the first time and did not even see the 2tb hard drive because THEY said it was destroyed. I took it back and told them it was supposed to be a 2tb fusion drive and there was NEVER a flash drive attached when I purchased it new. It runs ok, I believe its slower than it was and when I open my external hard drives I have attached I get the rainbow, I have nothing on this machine, iTunes and my email thats it. I have nothing in photos or movies. No documents. it shows 1.96 TBs what worries me is the flash drive is showing and its never done that before

Sep 7, 2019 8:32 PM in response to R.Bryant

R.Bryant wrote:

It runs ok, I believe its slower than it was and when I open my external hard drives I have attached I get the rainbow, I have nothing on this machine, iTunes and my email thats it. I have nothing in photos or movies. No documents. it shows 1.96 TBs what worries me is the flash drive is showing and its never done that before

The Fusion Drive has not been properly setup since the repair which is why you are seeing both the SSD and the HD as separate volumes and why the iMac feels slower than before since you are now accessing your files directly from the slow HD. If you recreate the Fusion Drive as described in the link of my previous post, you should see a noticeable speed improvement. Just make sure you have everything backed up from both the hard drive and the SSD before recreating the Fusion Drive.

I'm not sure why you are getting the spinning wheel when accessing your external drives. You may want to try connecting them one at a time to see if the issue is with just one of the drives. Maybe one of them has a file system issue which might need to be repaired by Disk Utility or perhaps you have a bad USB cable or perhaps the external drive is beginning to fail.

It will be best to first recreate your Fusion Drive. It is best and safest to disconnect your external drives while recreating the Fusion Drive and reinstalling macOS.

I Mac late model 2015 2tb Fusion Drive

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.