Apple Event: May 7th at 7 am PT

Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

FusionDrive broken

Hi Guys,

i have a mac mini (late 2014, i5) and i have a big problem. Since I connected an external CD drive, my hard drives have stopped working properly. You have to say that I connected the drive with USB & power. When I plugged the drive into a power outlet, everything crashed. The Mac shut down and didn't start until a little later. Then ALL DATA was gone ... And my 1TB FusionDrive hard drive is gone too. Since then I only have my 128gb SSD. The other part of the FusionDrive somehow only has 2GB (?) Instead of 1TB. (According to disk utility) I hope I explained it clearly and you can help me.

Max

Mac mini, macOS 10.15

Posted on Aug 30, 2020 12:51 PM

Similar questions

2 replies

Aug 30, 2020 2:54 PM in response to Max Gansel

I am afraid that you might have "spontaneous" split of the Fusion drive -- most likely caused by the HDD part of the Fusion drive.

That might be explained by the unusual of 2T, instead of 1T.

First, I hope you have a recent backup for the later restore process.

Here are few options you can consider:

1. replace the HDD - with your choice of drive (2T HDD, 1T HDD or SSD) -- most of the users here will suggest SSD for the speed of reliability over any HDD. If you choose internal SSD (SATA) -- don't bother to "refuse" both drives. In my opinion and experience, Fusion drive is a pain.
  2. Complete forget the HDD -- 2014 MacMini actually is pretty easy to replace the PCI-e SSD (from 128Gb to 1T) - you need the right tool to open the MacMini. OWC website includes the choices.
  3. Use external SSD (USB 3)

You will need internet recovery to reinstall the OS.

FusionDrive broken

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.