Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

Restore content from iPhone SE backup (on Mac) onto iPhone 5

I tried to restore the content from my broken iPhone SE (64GB, last or at least second to last iOS) onto the older iPhone 5 (28.7GB OS 10.3.4) from the backup on my Mac, which did not work. 

First I was asked to disable the app "Find my iPhone", but after that it still did not work. 

Error message is: 

“iTunes could not restore the iPhone “XYZ” because the backup was not compatible with the iPhone, that is being restored. You must update the iPhone to the latest version of iOS before it can be restored from this backup.

However the iPhone 5 was updated to the iOS version (10.3.4) when being reset and is up to date.

So is probably due to the memory mismatch, even though I used only about half or the memory of the SE, of which again half were pics, that I believe are not backed up.)

Or is there also a problem to restore from last or second to last iOS to 10.3.4 ? 

Any suggestions? 

Might I have the same problem when I buy a refurbished iPhone SE (64Gb) and try the same? 

I could still sync the iPhone 5 with my Mac and retrieve in this way Contacts and Calendar? 

(This is an emergency reactivation of the iPhone 5, which I still have on hand!)

iPhone 5

Posted on Sep 6, 2019 11:41 PM

Question marked as Best reply

Posted on Sep 7, 2019 2:58 AM

An iPhone SE supports iOS 12.4.1, so it's likely to have been on a higher iOS version than the 5 supports (10.3.4) - you can't restore a backup taken on a higher iOS version.

If you buy a refurbished SE, and if it's on at least the same iOS version that yours was on, you should be able to restore to the backup.

Similar questions

3 replies
Question marked as Best reply

Sep 7, 2019 2:58 AM in response to SwingSalsa

An iPhone SE supports iOS 12.4.1, so it's likely to have been on a higher iOS version than the 5 supports (10.3.4) - you can't restore a backup taken on a higher iOS version.

If you buy a refurbished SE, and if it's on at least the same iOS version that yours was on, you should be able to restore to the backup.

Restore content from iPhone SE backup (on Mac) onto iPhone 5

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.