Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

firewire to usb-c

I have a MOTU firewire audio interface. Is there a possibility to make it work with usb-c? Is there a cable that goes from firewire to usb-c (they're not the same transfer technology so I can hardly believe it will work) or do I need a dongle from firewire to thunderbolt and a second one from thunderbolt to usb-c ??

But maybe I haven't done my research too well? Is there a better solution?

thanx

Posted on Sep 7, 2019 2:04 AM

Question marked as Best reply

Posted on Sep 7, 2019 6:20 PM

Apple only has a Thunderbolt to Firewire adapter which will work with the Apple USB-C to Thunderbolt adapter. I don't know if there are any third party adapters available for direct USB-C to Firewire.

8 replies

Sep 9, 2019 6:53 AM in response to natteaap

natteaap wrote:

Thank you for your answer. So there is nog usb-c to firewire 400 cable. ratz.

Going with your answer that means I need 3 dongles for 1 connection. A T3 to T2 dongle in a T2 tot FW800 dongle in FW800 to FW400 dongle. Wauw. I'm not sure if it is still efficiënt after all those extra connections.

I was using FireWire drives with my 2012 iMac along with the Thunderbolt2->FW800 dongle. When I purchased my new mini I thought about purchasing the T3 to T2 dongle but after thinking about it a bit I decided to get a good 2 bay USB 3 / SATA enclosure. Sure it cost twice as much as the dongle but now I have 1 cable instead of 2 dongles and a cable as well as an enclosure that is brand new instead of nearly 10 years old.

Sep 9, 2019 8:30 AM in response to dwb

Thanx for your input, but this is about an audio interface. The one I have is good quality and buying a new one would cost me a minimum of 500€. I'm not ready to do that if the one I have is still in perfect shape.

I thought about going for a new 2in/2out and then rerouting via adat or spdif but something decent is also 500€.

Sep 9, 2019 8:32 AM in response to Grant Bennet-Alder

True, the new MBP's come only with usb-c. That is no problem, it is the best standard at the moment so I'm not against it. But it gets difficult if you have to connect perfectly working devices through a legacy connection. Just to have the dongles alone would set me back about 100€ and 30cm's of dongle-centipede.

If one 39,99 cable could solve that, I'd be very happy ^_^

firewire to usb-c

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.