Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

iTunes is saying that a backup requires an encryption even though the "Encrypt local backup" but is unchecked?

I have never enabled the encryption option on this device and really do not want the backup to my computer to be encrypted but when i go to try and backup I am getting a error "This iPhone requires backup files to be encrypted. Enter a password to protect your iPhone" then leaves spaces for me to create a password. What do i do if the encrypt backup box isn't event checked in the first place?

iPhone XR

Posted on Sep 8, 2019 5:51 AM

Question marked as Best reply

Posted on Sep 12, 2019 2:12 AM

Is your phone provided by your employer? It may have a profile or policy setting that requires you to add encryption when backing up to iTunes. Note that an encrypted backup will include a bit more information than would otherwise be saved. Not necessarily a bad thing as long as you make sure that you have a copy of the password. It can potentially be years between the time when the password is created and when it is needed, and there is no reset mechanism once the device is in a non-working state.

tt2

Similar questions

3 replies
Question marked as Best reply

Sep 12, 2019 2:12 AM in response to erertetr

Is your phone provided by your employer? It may have a profile or policy setting that requires you to add encryption when backing up to iTunes. Note that an encrypted backup will include a bit more information than would otherwise be saved. Not necessarily a bad thing as long as you make sure that you have a copy of the password. It can potentially be years between the time when the password is created and when it is needed, and there is no reset mechanism once the device is in a non-working state.

tt2

iTunes is saying that a backup requires an encryption even though the "Encrypt local backup" but is unchecked?

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.