Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

Files not importing

i have a iMac 2011 running high sierra and im trying to import a file over to a USB Flash drive 32GB and the file i want to import is 5GB and when i move it, the file says that its to big to import, then its clearly not. any solutions?

iMac Line (2012 and Later)

Posted on Sep 8, 2019 11:48 AM

Question marked as Best reply

Posted on Sep 8, 2019 12:04 PM

The thumb drive you're trying to copy the large file to is probably not an Apple HFS+ format (FAT or ???) -- in the case of FAT formats, I think the largest possible file is 4GB (no matter how large the USB drive is) -- so my suggestion would be to erase and reformat the thumb drive as an HFS+ file system with Disk Utility and then try to copy your large file. Don't forget that when you format the USB thumb drive everything on it will be erased so make copies somewhere else if you need to before doing the format.

If you need help using Disk Utility to erase a volume let us know.

Good luck...

2 replies
Question marked as Best reply

Sep 8, 2019 12:04 PM in response to JamesLetsPlay124

The thumb drive you're trying to copy the large file to is probably not an Apple HFS+ format (FAT or ???) -- in the case of FAT formats, I think the largest possible file is 4GB (no matter how large the USB drive is) -- so my suggestion would be to erase and reformat the thumb drive as an HFS+ file system with Disk Utility and then try to copy your large file. Don't forget that when you format the USB thumb drive everything on it will be erased so make copies somewhere else if you need to before doing the format.

If you need help using Disk Utility to erase a volume let us know.

Good luck...

Files not importing

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.