Apple Event: May 7th at 7 am PT

Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

external hard drive

why I am not able to copy files from iMac to external hard drive?

Posted on Apr 25, 2022 6:31 AM

Question marked as Best reply

Posted on Apr 26, 2022 9:38 PM

Yes, whenever a drive is formatted any data stored on it will be lost. That is a lesson learned for the next time AND is also a case on why operating ANY computer without a backup plan is shortsighted and a guarantee you will lose data. I hope on the Mac at the very least you use Time Machine to backup the Mac, if you are not please refer to Back up your Mac with Time Machine to see how simple a task that is.

6 replies
Question marked as Best reply

Apr 26, 2022 9:38 PM in response to meshirish

Yes, whenever a drive is formatted any data stored on it will be lost. That is a lesson learned for the next time AND is also a case on why operating ANY computer without a backup plan is shortsighted and a guarantee you will lose data. I hope on the Mac at the very least you use Time Machine to backup the Mac, if you are not please refer to Back up your Mac with Time Machine to see how simple a task that is.

external hard drive

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.