Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

iPhone microphone recording muffled sound for video

Muffled sound with the camera app. When recording video using Instagram, Snapchat or other video app, the audio is clear. The issue is only with my Apple camera app. When I record videos (from either camera) the audio is muffled. Is this a problem with the app itself? Since audio records clearly elsewhere, it rules out a hardware issue with the phone itself. iPhone x, operating on the most recent software update available, as of Sept 2019.

​[Re-Titled by Moderator]

Posted on Sep 8, 2019 7:28 PM

Question marked as Best reply

Posted on Sep 8, 2019 8:18 PM

I am not clear when you say "When recording video using Instagram, Snapchat or other video app, the audio is clear. "

Recording where Screen time? You cannot record internal Audio using Screen Time!

If Camera App is not recording audio while recording videos this clearly indicates microphone issue on your iPhone.

If the microphones on your iPhone, iPad, and iPod touch aren't working

If the sound is unclear during phone calls or FaceTime calls, or if Siri is unable to detect your voice, learn what to do.

With your iOS device, you might experience one of these issues when you make a call, use FaceTime or Siri, or play recorded audio:

• People can't hear you during a phone or FaceTime call.
  • You sound unclear to others during a phone or FaceTime call.
  • Siri says, "I didn't get that" or doesn't hear your request or hears only part of it.
  • When playing back recorded audio, the sound you hear is unclear, or you don’t hear sound. 
  • You're unable to change audio sources during a call.

Test the microphones on your device

To find out if there’s an issue with the microphone on your device—and not your cellular connection or the app that you're using—test each microphone. Microphone location can vary by device. You can use your product's technical specifications to find the microphones.

When you test your microphones, make sure that your iOS device isn't connected to a wired or wireless headset.

iPhone

There is more than one microphone on your iPhone.

To test the primary microphone on the bottom of your iPhone, open Voice Memos and tap the record icon. Then speak into the microphone and tap the play icon to play back the recording. You should be able to hear your voice clearly.

To test the front microphone, open the Camera app and record a video using the front camera. To test the rear microphone, open the Camera app and record a video using the back camera. When you play back the video you should hear your voice clearly.

If your voice sounds faint when you’re on a phone call, make sure that your rear microphone isn’t blocked or covered.

If Siri can't hear you, make sure that the receiver and front microphone on top of your iPhone aren't covered or dirty.

Get help

If you still have issues after testing the microphone on your device, try these steps:

1. Unplug any accessories and disconnect any Bluetooth headsets.
  2. Avoid blocking the microphone with your fingers or case while holding the device or recording video.
  3. Remove screen protectors, films, or cases that cover the microphone or iPhone receiver.
  4. Clear any debris from the microphones or iPhone receiver.
  5. Restart your device.
  6. Make sure you have the latest version of iOS.

If you've tried these steps and people still can't hear you on phone or FaceTime calls or Siri doesn’t hear your requests, contact Apple Support.

FaceTime is not available in all countries or regions.

3 replies
Question marked as Best reply

Sep 8, 2019 8:18 PM in response to sammi312

I am not clear when you say "When recording video using Instagram, Snapchat or other video app, the audio is clear. "

Recording where Screen time? You cannot record internal Audio using Screen Time!

If Camera App is not recording audio while recording videos this clearly indicates microphone issue on your iPhone.

If the microphones on your iPhone, iPad, and iPod touch aren't working

If the sound is unclear during phone calls or FaceTime calls, or if Siri is unable to detect your voice, learn what to do.

With your iOS device, you might experience one of these issues when you make a call, use FaceTime or Siri, or play recorded audio:

• People can't hear you during a phone or FaceTime call.
  • You sound unclear to others during a phone or FaceTime call.
  • Siri says, "I didn't get that" or doesn't hear your request or hears only part of it.
  • When playing back recorded audio, the sound you hear is unclear, or you don’t hear sound. 
  • You're unable to change audio sources during a call.

Test the microphones on your device

To find out if there’s an issue with the microphone on your device—and not your cellular connection or the app that you're using—test each microphone. Microphone location can vary by device. You can use your product's technical specifications to find the microphones.

When you test your microphones, make sure that your iOS device isn't connected to a wired or wireless headset.

iPhone

There is more than one microphone on your iPhone.

To test the primary microphone on the bottom of your iPhone, open Voice Memos and tap the record icon. Then speak into the microphone and tap the play icon to play back the recording. You should be able to hear your voice clearly.

To test the front microphone, open the Camera app and record a video using the front camera. To test the rear microphone, open the Camera app and record a video using the back camera. When you play back the video you should hear your voice clearly.

If your voice sounds faint when you’re on a phone call, make sure that your rear microphone isn’t blocked or covered.

If Siri can't hear you, make sure that the receiver and front microphone on top of your iPhone aren't covered or dirty.

Get help

If you still have issues after testing the microphone on your device, try these steps:

1. Unplug any accessories and disconnect any Bluetooth headsets.
  2. Avoid blocking the microphone with your fingers or case while holding the device or recording video.
  3. Remove screen protectors, films, or cases that cover the microphone or iPhone receiver.
  4. Clear any debris from the microphones or iPhone receiver.
  5. Restart your device.
  6. Make sure you have the latest version of iOS.

If you've tried these steps and people still can't hear you on phone or FaceTime calls or Siri doesn’t hear your requests, contact Apple Support.

FaceTime is not available in all countries or regions.

Oct 8, 2019 8:32 AM in response to sammi312

I am "hearing this too" and I've tried everything.

My audio is ONLY muffled when I record a video using the iphone X IOS 13 (latest) using the camera app.

I have reset the phone. I have checked all audio settings. eq, stereo. etc.

If i record using Voice Memos the audio is crystal clear

If I record using Instragram app the audio is crystal clear.

It is only muffled when I open the camera. select video and hit record.

Nothing to do with mic. See above crystal clear using Voice Memos. Seems like an IOS bug. (I reset all settings already and wasted my time )

iPhone microphone recording muffled sound for video

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.