Want to highlight a helpful answer? Upvote!

Did someone help you, or did an answer or User Tip resolve your issue? Upvote by selecting the upvote arrow. Your feedback helps others! Learn more about when to upvote >

Newsroom Update

Apple and Google deliver support for unwanted tracking alerts in iOS and Android. Learn more >

Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

Muffled audio quality when recording videos on iPhone 12

Recently got an iPhone 12, just the normal one not the pro, and I am getting muffled audio quality ONLY when recording videos using the camera app. However, when I record using Instagram, Snapchat, and any other 3rd party apps that has video recording features everything is fine. Recording audio on voice memo is also fine. Anyone can help? I’m on the latest ios btw 14.6

I have tried reseting all settings, force restart, turned off and on, etc but nothing fixed it…

Posted on Jul 15, 2021 7:06 PM

Question marked as Best reply

Posted on Aug 2, 2021 1:51 AM

Hai, yes I have found a solution! Turns out its my front facing screen protector it covered the notch on the iPhone, therefore causing bad microphone audio. I took it off and made sure to buy a new screen protector that did not cover the notch and this solved everything. Hope this helps and please do spread this :)

Similar questions

11 replies
Question marked as Best reply

Aug 2, 2021 1:51 AM in response to katscna

Hai, yes I have found a solution! Turns out its my front facing screen protector it covered the notch on the iPhone, therefore causing bad microphone audio. I took it off and made sure to buy a new screen protector that did not cover the notch and this solved everything. Hope this helps and please do spread this :)

Jul 17, 2021 9:03 PM in response to Hafiz629

Hafiz629 Said:

"Muffled audio quality when recording videos on iPhone 12: This did not solve it :( but thank you again!"

-------

You are welcome.

Troubleshooting the Microphones:

Try this site: If the Microphones on your iPhone aren't Working - Apple Support. Note that there is more than one microphone on your iPhone. So, when recording, be certain you leave external headsets not plugged in.

Perhaps this is a Faulty Device?:

If the microphone is not working as intended then perhaps this is a faulty device? You have 14 days to return it. So, if it has been 14 days or less, then return it. If it has been more than 14 days, then have it serviced. You have a one-year, out-of-the-box, limited-warranty on this. So, contact Apple Support, seeing if they will return it or service it free of charge.

Contacting Apple Support:

Why the Wait:

Phone calls are taking a bit to go through at the moment, due to lots of calls. With the Coronavirus Pandemic, many are at home at the moment, with much time on their hands to contact Apple. So, just stay on the line, and you will get through :)

Sep 16, 2021 7:24 PM in response to katscna

I have the same problem. It’s not a problem with the microphone it’s got to be software. It is most apparent when I’m trying to take videos of live performances. I’ve never had an issue before the iPhone 12, but it has been very annoying now that live performances are back. After reading this, I am considering trying to find a third-party app to record videos with but I really don’t want to. This is very frustrating.

Jul 15, 2021 7:40 PM in response to Hafiz629

Hafiz629 Said:

"Muffled audio quality when recording videos on iPhone 12: Its not about the speakers, I hear sound its just my sound is muffled when recording using camera app but not any other app. But thank you anyways"

-------

Try Disabling Noise Cancellation:

1. Go to: Settings
  2. Tap: General
  3. Tap: Accessibility
  4. Tap: Noise Cancelation (so that is it grey)

Muffled audio quality when recording videos on iPhone 12

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.