Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

Thunderbolt 2 dock connection to a Thunderbolt 3 iMac

I'd like to connect my MacBook Pro (15-inch, Mid 2012; running 10.14.5 OSX), to a Thunderbolt 2 hub/dock; and then connect the Thunderbolt 3 cable with the adapter from the TB2 dock to an iMac's (2017, 27") TB3 connection. Will that work? My local reseller said no but I don't understand why when the TB3 cable is using a TB2 adapter to connect to the dock. Thanks for your help.

Posted on Sep 9, 2019 10:45 AM

Question marked as Best reply

Posted on Sep 9, 2019 11:06 AM

What is it that your are trying to accomplish? Are you trying to connect the MacBook Pro to the iMac via the dock simply to share files? If that's all you want to do there are much easier ways using AirDrop or file sharing. If that's not what you are trying to accomplish then please provide more information.

Use AirDrop on your Mac - Apple Support

How to connect with File Sharing on your Mac - Apple Support

3 replies
Question marked as Best reply

Sep 9, 2019 11:06 AM in response to KearyD

What is it that your are trying to accomplish? Are you trying to connect the MacBook Pro to the iMac via the dock simply to share files? If that's all you want to do there are much easier ways using AirDrop or file sharing. If that's not what you are trying to accomplish then please provide more information.

Use AirDrop on your Mac - Apple Support

How to connect with File Sharing on your Mac - Apple Support

Sep 9, 2019 1:13 PM in response to KearyD

It would help if you layout your desired overall network configuration with these Mac and the associated external devices. So far I understand that you have a network-ready database running on an iMac that will be shared to other network clients ... but that you also want to share these external devices via a hub ... is that correct?

Thunderbolt 2 dock connection to a Thunderbolt 3 iMac

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.