Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

Is it possible to connect to a Thunderbolt 3 adapter from MacBook pro with thunderbolt 2?

I have a Thunderbolt 3 docking station that i want to use with my MacBook Pro 2014 with Thunderbolt 2.

I have tested the setup with a Windows machine using Thunderbolt 3. I bought a used thunderbolt adapter, but when connecting i get nothing. The adapter isn't event recognised by the MacBook (using a tested Thunderbolt 2 cable).

Could somebody confirm if the adapters should at least be recognised? My guess is that i should work since its a 2-way adapter.

MacBook Pro Retina

Posted on Jun 23, 2020 5:39 AM

Question marked as Best reply

Posted on Jun 23, 2020 6:45 AM

Ocap112 wrote:

I have a Thunderbolt 3 docking station that i want to use with my MacBook Pro 2014 with Thunderbolt 2.

I have tested the setup with a Windows machine using Thunderbolt 3. I bought a used thunderbolt adapter, but when connecting i get nothing. The adapter isn't event recognised by the MacBook (using a tested Thunderbolt 2 cable).

Could somebody confirm if the adapters should at least be recognised? My guess is that i should work since its a 2-way adapter.

Thunderbolt 3 (USB-C) to Thunderbolt 2 Adapter - Apple

5 replies
Question marked as Best reply

Jun 23, 2020 6:45 AM in response to Ocap112

Ocap112 wrote:

Thunderbolt 3 (USB-C) to Thunderbolt 2 Adapter - Apple

Jun 23, 2020 10:11 AM in response to Malcolm J. Rayfield

According to multiple sources (researched before buying the adapter) it works connecting it to a Macbook pro with thunderbolt 3 (on the YouTube videos I've seen in this topic, using the male connector.

I've tried using the dock with the female connector, and it works with an HP computer running a windows system without any drivers or anything installed to try the docking station.

In other words:

-Proven to work with Mac.

-Proven to work connectconnectingh the female port.

-While connecting the thunderbolt adapter with a thunderbolt 2 cable it does not show any sign in the system report under thunderbolt. I've tried this with two computers, with the same result.

I guess an option to test the adapter would be to connect a computer with thunderbolt 3 in target disk mode to one of the computers in trying. If I can get ahold of a newer Mac I could also test the dock with a Mac.

Is it possible to connect to a Thunderbolt 3 adapter from MacBook pro with thunderbolt 2?

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.