Apple Event: May 7th at 7 am PT

Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

Mail program crashes

I'rm running MacOS Mojave 10.14.6 on my iMac. My mail application (version 12.4) repeatedly crashes daily, displaying the following error code:

*** Terminating app due to uncaught exception 'NSInternalInconsistencyException', reason: 'Got more VANISHED UIDs than existing messages'

terminating with uncaught exception of type NSException

abort() called

Is there any known solution? Is there a method of reloading the mail application without having to reload the entire operating system?

Thanks for any suggestions!

Paul

Posted on Sep 10, 2019 7:23 AM

12 replies

Sep 11, 2019 9:26 AM in response to PaulM22

Hey, Paul.

I see that you're receiving an error message whenever when the Mail application unexpectedly shuts down on your Mac. You get an exception message that states "Got more VANISHED UIDs than existing messages", and I'm glad to help.

Use safe mode to isolate issues with your Mac -- Restart your Mac in safe mode and test how the Mail app responds. If everything works as expected while in safe mode, reboot normally and test again in your own user account.

Rebuild mailboxes in Mail on Mac -- If the issue persists, rebuild the inbox of the email that's being affected.

Add or remove email accounts in Mail on Mac -- If rebuilding the mailbox didn't resolve the issue, remove the email account and add it back again. If the email account isn't an IMAP account, be sure to move or copy your emails before you remove the account. The information on how to do this is under "Remove an email account".

Let me know how that goes, and take care!

Sep 12, 2019 9:27 AM in response to PaulM22

Thanks for trying those steps and getting back to us with the results, Paul. It's appreciated. Since there isn't a way to reinstall just the Mail application, I'd like for you to reinstall the operating system of your Mac.

How to use Time Machine to back up or restore your Mac -- Before the moving to the next step, be sure your personal information is safe by backing up your Mac. 

How to reinstall macOS from macOS Recovery -- Reinstalling macOS version will put a fresh copy of the operating system on your Mac. See how the Mail application behaves afterwards.

If you're still experiencing this problem, have you noticed whether this is happening with just one email account or all of them?

Get back to us again when you have a chance.

Cheers!

Sep 11, 2019 5:58 PM in response to Teddy_B

Thanks for your suggestions. For the two hours I was running In 'safe mode' I did not experience the crashes I described. However, returning to the normal boot-up, they recurred. I have rebuilt all my mailboxes (all IMAP) as suggested and the situation remains.

I should point out that the mail app crashes do not occur at a steady, predictable rate. Sometimes I can go for several hours without an issue. At other times I will be composing a draft e-mail and it will crash several times in half an hour. I always send the report to Apple.

Can I re-install just the mail application without reinstalling the entire macOS? Perhaps I should just wait until the next version of Catalina is released.

Waddyatink?

Paul

Sep 20, 2019 8:14 AM in response to Joseph_S.

Hi,

I'm having a similar problem with my mail with the exact same message:

Terminating app due to uncaught exception 'NSInternalInconsistencyException', reason: 'Got more VANISHED UIDs than existing messages'

terminating with uncaught exception of type NSException

I run a MacMini and a MacBook Pro. It's happening to the e-mail accounts on both of them. How could the both computers get the same corruption?

I'm curious if PaulM22 fixed the problem by reinstalling macOS.

Thanks for any insights.

Sep 20, 2019 8:22 AM in response to ferret_bard

The next version of the macOS ("Catalina") is being released in October. I have opted to tolerate the crashes for now and hope that the new OS revolves the problem. Seems like a great deal of effort to reinstall the current version with no guarantee that the problem will be resolved.

I will post an update after Catalina has been installed.

Regards,

Paul

Nov 3, 2019 7:04 AM in response to ferret_bard

On my MacBook Air running Catalina 10.15.1

Modell-Identifizierung: MacBookAir6,2

Prozessortyp: Dual-Core Intel Core i7

Prozessorgeschwindigkeit: 1,7 GHz

Anzahl der Prozessoren: 1

Gesamtanzahl der Kerne: 2

L2-Cache (pro Kern): 256 KB

L3-Cache: 4 MB

Hyper-Threading Technologie: Aktiviert

Speicher: 8 GB

Boot-ROM-Version: 118.0.0.0.0

SMC-Version (System): 2.13f15

Seriennummer (System): C02LF7STF6T6

Hardware-UUID: E68E798B-F9FB-5920-B1AF-9F959E312A3D

I am also experiencing this kind of Mail crashes. The error code embedded in the report is identical to the examples cited.

BW.

Nov 3, 2019 11:39 AM in response to leroydouglas

It would be more correct to say that I haven't been bothered by that particular issue. I've had to deal with others. A problem with my wifi forced me to downgrade from 15.1 back to 15.0. Whether Apple actually found the problem and fixed it, or one of the causes of the problem changed to allow for Mail to work properly again, Apple will have to say.

Mail program crashes

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.