Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

Free One Year Apple TV Plus

To receive the free 12 month subscription to Apple TV Plus, can the device be purchased from any retail establishment or does it have to be purchased from Apple?

Posted on Sep 10, 2019 4:05 PM

27 replies

Sep 11, 2019 4:43 PM in response to Tom Meade1

you can read more about apple news on the topic here: https://www.apple.com/newsroom/2019/09/apple-tv-launches-november-1-featuring-originals-from-the-worlds-greatest-storytellers/

what i have found out is no one is really able to answer the question because today there is nothing you can do about the service. it would all be guesswork until the service actually arrives in november. until then, there's a lot of talk about how it might work but no one knows for sure. i was hoping someone who considers themselves an expert or have done this before (because i'm almost sure this is not apple's first time doing it) can say:

1.the registration process involves activating your apple device with a valid apple id. at that time, the system will recognize your device as a new device (as opposed to someone who bought the device last year) and you will have the opportunity to sign up for....or,

2.apple has done this before when they offered [product x] and i recall at that time people were able to sign up when they were within a few days....or,

3.when you open the apple tv app and sign up for the first time, the app will know exactly when you purchased your device even if it was days/weeks prior to you setting up and adding the device to your apple profile and therefore you will be ineligible. works just like a warranty [claim], it goes by the date on the receipt. LOL

Sep 11, 2019 4:52 PM in response to rkar726

Some info:

Apple TV+ launches November 1, featuring originals from the world’s greatest storytellers - Apple

“Customers who purchase any new iPhone, iPad, Apple TV, Mac or iPod touch starting September 10 can enjoy one year of Apple TV+ for free. Beginning November 1, customers can initiate the one-year free offer in the Apple TV app on the device running the latest software. Customers have three months after device activation to claim the offer, or if the device was purchased and activated before the launch of Apple TV+, they will have three months starting November 1. The subscription will automatically renew at $4.99 per month after one year. Customers can cancel at any time in Settings at least one day before each renewal date. Customers who cancel during the offer period will forfeit the remainder of their offer. This limited time offer applies to both new and refurbished models, including devices from the iPhone Upgrade Program, is not restricted to any specific sales channel (e.g., Apple Store, resellers) and will be available in all countries where Apple TV+ will launch. Up to six family members can share one Apple TV+ subscription and watch using their own Apple ID and password. Only one one-year offer is available per family, regardless of the number of devices purchased.”

Sep 10, 2019 9:41 PM in response to vazandrew

thanks for the reply. i purchased from a retailer, how would apply know when i bought it? do you have to submit a purchase receipt when you sign up? certainly this isn't the first time apple has done something like this before. i know it was just announced today but i'm just trying to understand how the process works and it would surprise me greatly if they would have you fill out your registration online and then follow up with a silly receipt or a credit card statement just to active. it's say on their website, what does "activation" mean? "Customers who purchase any new iPhone, iPad, Apple TV, Mac or iPod touch starting September 10 can enjoy one year of Apple TV+ for free. Beginning November 1, customers can initiate the one-year free offer in the Apple TV app on the device running the latest software. Customers have three months after device activation to claim the offer, or if the device was purchased and activated before the launch of Apple TV+, they will have three months starting November 1. " i would hate to have to take the new unopened package back to the retailer just to rebuy it if I didn't have to. need to know now because I'm almost sure there is nothing you can do online today to confirm anything, right? wondering if i need to wait until after nov 1st to open my early christmas gift. ;)

Sep 10, 2019 10:10 PM in response to vazandrew

[it?] what would be tied to the serial number? when i purchased the macmini yesterday from the retailer, did the serial number get reported to apple along with the purchase date? just trying to understand the facts, if you know, please share.

in the meantime, i am checking my current macmini (2011) to see how it was purchased and registered and what date information was tied to the serial number. it's hard to remember the process way back then.

Sep 11, 2019 1:41 AM in response to kensteele

It’s best to call them and ask. I received a refund on a HomePod after they dropped the price a few days later. However I’d bought it on the online Apple store so the operator was able to check on this and refund the money back to the card I used.

Where did you see this offer in writing? I couldn’t find it in the Canadian Store. I know it was in the keynote. I’m interested in purchasing a MacBook Air and would like the one year free deal, since I’m also interested in the ATV +.

i can only find that offer on the Canadian site if you buy a 4K Apple TV, which I don’t need. Never mind I found it, the site’s still updating.

Sep 11, 2019 5:03 PM in response to kensteele

As I had already stated you can contact Apple to verify and inquire about exceptions. No one on this forum can specify the exact process for something that has yet to happen. However, it was made it clear that it was for purchases starting on September 10th

You are free to wait until November, but if you are denied based on the purchase date you would no longer be in a position to do anything about it.

Sep 11, 2019 11:02 PM in response to tianna145

^thanks apple blurb, this has been posted a couple of times.

there are 3 types of device categories to consider based on the launch date, 11/1. this is applicable to ALL devices.

0.ineligible devices

1.if you activate your new device on 11/1 or later, you have 90 days to claim the promo (if apple continues with this promo as standard, it will be the only category and thus applicable to all devices going forward starting 11/1).

2.if you purchase AND activate your device prior to 11/1, the clock starts ticking for you on 11/1. (obviously this category goes away on 11/1)

the statement says purchased AND activated prior to 11/1 because if you purchased before 11/1 but activated after 11/1, then you fall into category 1. your activation date which occurs prior to 11/1 must fall between 9/10 and 10/31 else your clock probably won't start ticking.

device purchased on 9/9 and activated on 11/2 will fall into category 1.

device purchased on 9/9 and activated on 10/31 will fall into category 2.

device activated on 9/9 or earlier will fall into category 0.

btw, for the record, i've already corrected my purchase date and i'm buying a 4k atv to go along with my new macmini so i'm already covered; just wanted to continue discussing the issue for anyone who visits this thread in the immediate future or later when somebody (like me) asks "how was it done last year or two years ago." you can come back to this thread and find the facts because i'll post my results here in early november.

/imho

Sep 12, 2019 11:06 AM in response to vazandrew

^understood and don't get me wrong, it's not my claim but it's just my opinion. i agree the purchase date is mentioned and for something like a warranty claim where you may need to submit a receipt, it's key. maybe during the sign up process, the app turns on your isight camera and asks you to hold up your store receipt. maybe during the sign up process, you are allowed to proceed and apple does a weekly check with the master retailer's purchase database and turns off services that don't qualify. or maybe they use something we already know a little bit about, the activation date.

again, it's just a guess. but i intend to help by sharing my experiences. come back here on november 2nd and you'll get the facts on now it worked out for me. i promise to report either way, whether i get free service or not. you can decide for yourself. maybe as we get closer apple with clarify since they may have many people calling. or, maybe it will be apparent when you walk thru the sign up process. "Welcome [apple-id], since you are activating your device today, you qualify for....[click here]"

why not let's wait and see? again, i only posted the question because i thought someone might know the answer but apparently not, i was wrong. i won't be calling apple, at this time, there is nobody credible on the other end of a telephone who can confirm anything. if they say yes the answer still could end up being no and vice versa.

just have to wait.

Sep 12, 2019 3:32 PM in response to kensteele

With warranty service you can always look up coverage by inputting your serial number and it is able to track based on your purchase date. If one didn't activate the device until later that wouldn't be taken into account.

As for Apple TV Plus, all we can go on for now is what was said in the announcement and what was provided by Apple online, which covers both the purchase date and the activation. If you wanted verification then yes Apple would very much be able to tell you if there were any exceptions.

However, you mentioned going out to purchase an Apple TV. If you do then you wouldn't really be able to verify if you qualified based on that purchase or whether the Mac qualified.

Also, if people purchased their products before the 10th they would need to return them to make sure they qualify or ask Apple if there were exceptions. If they wait until the launch then they would no longer be able to return and may not have another option.

Free One Year Apple TV Plus

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.