Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

Finder is very slow when opening a folder with a large amount of items

When opening a folder with over 3000 items, finders seems to slow down and take close to an hour to load. Is this a normal behavior? I am running macOS Mojave on a late 2016 MacBook Pro 15" i7 Quad Core with 16 GB of RAM and 256 SSD drive.

MacBook Pro with Touch Bar

Posted on Sep 10, 2019 8:21 PM

Question marked as Best reply

Posted on Sep 11, 2019 4:52 PM

Hey, TheMacGenius82.

I see that your MacBook Pro slows down when you open a folder that contains 3000 files. You're wondering if this is normal, and I'm glad to help.

Use safe mode to isolate issues with your Mac -- Restart your Mac in safe mode and see if it opens the folder more quickly. If everything works as expected while in safe mode, reboot normally and test again in your own user account. 

Get file, folder, and disk information on Mac -- There may be 3000 items in the folder, but it's the amount of information that it's holding. If safe mode didn’t resolve the issue, control-click on the folder in Finder and select "Get Info" to see how large it really is.

Let me know how that goes, and take care!

Similar questions

6 replies
Question marked as Best reply

Sep 11, 2019 4:52 PM in response to TheMacGenius82

Hey, TheMacGenius82.

I see that your MacBook Pro slows down when you open a folder that contains 3000 files. You're wondering if this is normal, and I'm glad to help.

Use safe mode to isolate issues with your Mac -- Restart your Mac in safe mode and see if it opens the folder more quickly. If everything works as expected while in safe mode, reboot normally and test again in your own user account. 

Get file, folder, and disk information on Mac -- There may be 3000 items in the folder, but it's the amount of information that it's holding. If safe mode didn’t resolve the issue, control-click on the folder in Finder and select "Get Info" to see how large it really is.

Let me know how that goes, and take care!

Sep 11, 2019 5:13 PM in response to TheMacGenius82

Make sure you don't have the "Calculate all sizes" Finder preference set -- click on the Finder's View menu and then click on "Show View Options" -- at the bottom of the dialog box that pops up there is a checkbox labeled "Calculate all sizes" -- make sure this is not checked as it can significantly slow down Finder responses.

Close all the Finder windows if it was and then create a new one.

Good luck...

Sep 12, 2019 10:16 AM in response to TheMacGenius82

You could try this: go to ~/Library/Caches/CloudKit/

and move the following files to the trash:

CloudKitMetadata

CloudKitMetadata-shm

CloudKitMetadata-wal

Then open Activity Monitor and search for ‘cloudd’ (yes, two d’s!!). Select it and quit this process by clicking on the “X” at the top left of the window. Re-boot your MacBook. Hope this helps you! Regards, Ian.

Sep 12, 2019 2:57 PM in response to TheMacGenius82

Perhaps using the Finder at all is the wrong approach. You could have Automator prompt you for the folder, and then use Ruby in a Run Shell Script to access and rename all of those Photos (even in hierarchical folders) within the supplied folder. I have provided well received Ruby solutions to others over the years in the communities and it is well suited for custom file renaming of large volumes of files done very quickly.

I would need to know if the original Photos follow any form of naming pattern(s), and how you want the individual photos renamed.

Finder is very slow when opening a folder with a large amount of items

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.