Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

save current frame failed

Suddenly motion 5 has stopped allowing 'save current frame' as a png with the following message.

The operation could not be completed because an error occurred while sharing (CMediaServerMedia couldn't open URL File: /var/folders/6s/m8n71cps49vb_t2g0_h0b8180000gn/T/When are you available).

Never happened before in six years -suddenly now it's every time <ggrr>

Posted on Sep 11, 2019 1:26 AM

Question marked as Best reply

Posted on Sep 12, 2019 9:44 AM

In Disk Utility, select your System drive in the left column (it's usually "Macintosh HD" unless you renamed it), then just click the First Aid button. Disk Utility will "check the volume for errors" and "repair" them.

Did you try restarting your Mac? The whole idea is to flush that cache which is pretty much all /var/folders/ is.

4 replies
Question marked as Best reply

Sep 12, 2019 9:44 AM in response to sbonsell71

In Disk Utility, select your System drive in the left column (it's usually "Macintosh HD" unless you renamed it), then just click the First Aid button. Disk Utility will "check the volume for errors" and "repair" them.

Did you try restarting your Mac? The whole idea is to flush that cache which is pretty much all /var/folders/ is.

Sep 12, 2019 1:09 AM in response to sbonsell71

I don't believe this is a Motion problem.

If you're still having trouble with this: use Disk Utility and Repair (permissions on) your system drive. Then restart your Mac. That particular file (everything in /var/folders/) should have been deleted when you started up your Mac the last time (unless, you leave it running all the time.) Repairing permissions should let the system delete the file just in case the condition of the permissions is not allowing it to. Do not attempt to manually delete it!

I'm a little suspicious about the file name... but I couldn't find any information about specific viruses that use it, so it's probably not a problem.

Sep 12, 2019 9:23 AM in response to sbonsell71

Thanks for the answer.

I ran disk utility (I couldn't find 'Repair') and nothing showed up as a problem - though I'm not sure exactly how disk utility works.

I have Sophos scanning for viruses so I'm fairly sure that isn't a problem.

But Motion 5 still doesn't save a thumbnail.

I just take a screenshot of it instead, so it's not a big problem.

It just seems strange.

save current frame failed

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.