Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

The previous owner of this iPad died and we don’t know their username and password. How can I get around this so I can reset this iPad?

The previous owner of this iPad died and we don’t know their username and password. How can I get around this so I can reset this iPad? I’m at the Activation screen, trying to do a reset.

Posted on Sep 11, 2019 4:53 AM

Question marked as Best reply

Posted on Sep 11, 2019 5:04 AM

Unfortunately you probably can’t. The activation lock is meant to be a theft deterrent system so there is not user fix.

Turn off Find My iPhone Activation Lock - Apple Support

There is a RUMOR that if you are the rightful owner and have the original proof of purchase you can take that into an apple store and they can wipe the device for you. But it’s just that, a rumor. Beyond that, you can take it into an apple store to be recycled responsibly but that’s about it.

2 replies
Question marked as Best reply

Sep 11, 2019 5:04 AM in response to greatdane517

Unfortunately you probably can’t. The activation lock is meant to be a theft deterrent system so there is not user fix.

Turn off Find My iPhone Activation Lock - Apple Support

There is a RUMOR that if you are the rightful owner and have the original proof of purchase you can take that into an apple store and they can wipe the device for you. But it’s just that, a rumor. Beyond that, you can take it into an apple store to be recycled responsibly but that’s about it.

The previous owner of this iPad died and we don’t know their username and password. How can I get around this so I can reset this iPad?

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.