Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

can drag files, not folders

using 10.14.6 mojave.

sometimes i cannot drag and drop files. at the times when i cannot drag and drop files i can, however, drag and drop folders.

PLEASE advise.

MacBook

Posted on Sep 11, 2019 7:23 PM

Question marked as Best reply

Posted on Sep 11, 2019 8:27 PM

Perhaps the success or failure of dragging files and/or folders is really dependent on where you're trying to copy them to. In other words, the permissions associated with the destination is what controls whether or not you have the ability to create files and/or folders in that location. Do a "Get Info" in Finder (Command+i) on the destination folder of where you're trying to create stuff then at the bottom of this dialog box there is a "Sharing & Permissions" section - click on the triangle to show the list of names and permissions for those users/groups -- if you don't have write permission then you won't be able to create things there.

Does that help?

If you will give us a couple of specific examples of places you're trying to create copies of files/folders then will try and give more assistance.

Good luck...

2 replies
Question marked as Best reply

Sep 11, 2019 8:27 PM in response to mrmalkovich

Perhaps the success or failure of dragging files and/or folders is really dependent on where you're trying to copy them to. In other words, the permissions associated with the destination is what controls whether or not you have the ability to create files and/or folders in that location. Do a "Get Info" in Finder (Command+i) on the destination folder of where you're trying to create stuff then at the bottom of this dialog box there is a "Sharing & Permissions" section - click on the triangle to show the list of names and permissions for those users/groups -- if you don't have write permission then you won't be able to create things there.

Does that help?

If you will give us a couple of specific examples of places you're trying to create copies of files/folders then will try and give more assistance.

Good luck...

can drag files, not folders

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.