Apple Event: May 7th at 7 am PT

Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

Keychain Password on my MAC

How do I find my Keychain password on my Mac, and how do I change it? I keep getting messages asking for it, and I don't know what it is?

iMac Line (2012 and Later)

Posted on Sep 12, 2019 8:26 PM

Question marked as Best reply

Posted on Sep 12, 2019 10:40 PM

See the article https://support.apple.com/en-in/HT201609

In system preferences > users and groups , tap admin account and click on change password , if you enter the credentials the login password is changed , you can't find out keychain password in keychain access as it is encrypted , perhaps can only change it .

If you had further issues , post the screen shot of pop ups ( make sure you always hide mail address and photo ) before posting .Also clarify are you using 2FA or secondary authentication account .

3 replies
Question marked as Best reply

Sep 12, 2019 10:40 PM in response to gcarl44

See the article https://support.apple.com/en-in/HT201609

In system preferences > users and groups , tap admin account and click on change password , if you enter the credentials the login password is changed , you can't find out keychain password in keychain access as it is encrypted , perhaps can only change it .

If you had further issues , post the screen shot of pop ups ( make sure you always hide mail address and photo ) before posting .Also clarify are you using 2FA or secondary authentication account .

Sep 14, 2019 9:01 AM in response to gcarl44

Normally, your keychain password is your user password unless you have changed the keychain password. You can go to System Preferences/Users & Groups, select your account, and then click change password. Resetting your password there should change the keychain password to your user password. After changing the password, go to the  menu and log out of your account. Then log back in. That should complete the password update.

Keychain Password on my MAC

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.