Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

SanDisk 1tb ssd - cannot partition

I am the proud owner of a new 1tb Extreme Portable SSD by SanDisk. I have reformatted it to Mac OS extended (journaled). It is all good. I can copy files to the SSD etc. What I cannot do is partition the SSD. This would be convenient.

As you can see, the partition button is greyed out. Also, Zero kb purgeable. Is there someway that I can partition this gadget? Thanks.

Posted on Sep 13, 2019 1:37 AM

Question marked as Best reply

Posted on Sep 13, 2019 5:44 AM

Think you need to go for reformatting the Disk, at the moment is is on a Master Boot Record partition scheme, which should only be used if you are formatting the Disks exFAT or FAT32 or FAT16.

So whilst the Disk is selected click on Erase, give the Disk a name, next to Format select Mac OS Extended (Journaled)

and next to Scheme select GUID Partition Map, then click on Erase. Now that the disk is correctly formatted you should now have the Partition button active.

7 replies
Question marked as Best reply

Sep 13, 2019 5:44 AM in response to Ian999

Think you need to go for reformatting the Disk, at the moment is is on a Master Boot Record partition scheme, which should only be used if you are formatting the Disks exFAT or FAT32 or FAT16.

So whilst the Disk is selected click on Erase, give the Disk a name, next to Format select Mac OS Extended (Journaled)

and next to Scheme select GUID Partition Map, then click on Erase. Now that the disk is correctly formatted you should now have the Partition button active.

SanDisk 1tb ssd - cannot partition

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.