Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

New phone set up

If I don’t use the iCloud backup when setting up a new phone, or choose other back up or don’t restore will I lose pictures from my old phone?

iPhone XR

Posted on Sep 13, 2019 8:14 AM

Question marked as Best reply

Posted on Sep 13, 2019 10:47 AM

No. Not using a backup, or using a different backup to set up a new iPhone has no bearing on an old iPhone at all.

You can setup the new iPhone however you like.

If you are using iCloud Photo Library on the old iPhone, and you log in to your iCloud Account on the new iPhone, then Photos will sync to the new iPhone, and anything you delete on the new iPhone will also be deleted from the old one.

3 replies
Question marked as Best reply

Sep 13, 2019 10:47 AM in response to Habsfan31

No. Not using a backup, or using a different backup to set up a new iPhone has no bearing on an old iPhone at all.

You can setup the new iPhone however you like.

If you are using iCloud Photo Library on the old iPhone, and you log in to your iCloud Account on the new iPhone, then Photos will sync to the new iPhone, and anything you delete on the new iPhone will also be deleted from the old one.

New phone set up

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.